noob needs help - deleting fines in NTFS

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Roaders

noob needs help - deleting fines in NTFS

#1 Post by Roaders » Tue May 30, 2006 12:37 am

Hi Guys

I've downloaded the UBCD and am very impressed - it seems like a great tool and I'm sure it will prove to be very useful.

At the moment all I want the Dos prompt for is deleting a file on my NTFS drive that I can't delete in windows (tried safe mode ect ect as well).

I was really chuffed when I got the UBCD working and managed to get into my D drive and find the file.....

until I realised it was just read only and I couldn't delete!!

I've done a few serches on the forum but can't find any answers.

There must be a way I can delete this file!

Please help.

Thanks.

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Tue May 30, 2006 2:04 am

I think you can write to NTFS using Linux instead of DOS...
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

chadbh74

DOS NTFS Full Read/Write

#3 Post by chadbh74 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:13 am

Hi, I tried that NFSDOS utility and was similiarly dissappointed by the read-only nature of it. Then I found NTFS4DOS (see http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/). The freeware version of this program works great in a DOS/Win9x environment! You just have to put up with the nag screen for a few seconds when it loads. It doesn't force you to use a "Shell" application. You access the drives straight from the command prompt like you could with FAT/FAT32 drives.

- Chad

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:35 pm

NTFS4DOS was added to UBCD V3.4 (under File System #2/2).

I think there was another post where the poster was complaining that he cannot access his CDROM or USB drives using the NTFS4DOS boot disk.

I wonder if anyone has a solution to that?

baronvonfoxbat7734

#5 Post by baronvonfoxbat7734 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:59 am

Just a thought... Have you tried using inside of Winders a program called Unlocker yet? I have found that it will allow you to get rid of files that winders says is locked and such. Might be worth a shot if you can't get a dos version of NTFS running...