simple need....elusive solution

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

chadbh74

simple need....elusive solution

#1 Post by chadbh74 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:49 pm

Hi, I downloaded UBCD 3.4 last week and have figured out how to make 1.44mb/2.88MB boot images of some apps that work fine from the CUSTOM.SCN via MEMDISK. However, I have run into problem below and for the life of me I can't figure out the solution. Please help!

NEED: Have a 1.44MB floppy disk that boots DOS from A: Drive OK. IT is used to run an old system utility for non-standard 5.25 inch drive imaging (my drive B:) Would like to image the disk and add it to UBCD but the physical floppy drive B: must STILL be accessible.

I. Attempt image as 1.44MB .IMA
RESULT: NO GOOD. Image loads as Drive A: and physical 3.5 inch floppy gets re-assigned to B: drive. 5.25 Drive B: not accessible!

II. Attempt image as larger type (ZIP 100)
RESULT: NO GOOD. Used UnDisker to build an .IMG of the bootable ZIP. When MemDisk loads it, it says "Insert System Disk" and keeps trying to read the physical "A: Drive" (See MEMDISK note at the bottom of this post.) Tried loading via DOSEMU, didn't recognize the image. Tried loading via BCDW, booted as A: drive and ran into same problem as in #I.

III. Attempted image from HDD.
RESULT: NO GOOD. Got same results as in #II.

I WAS able to use Roxio to burn the ZIP/HDD image with "Hard Drive Emulation"/Bootable and it works fine.... but then it would be the only image on the CD. I tried making an ISO of that CD and adding it to the UBCD project but MEMDISK hangs after the ISO is loaded and BCDW just returns to the prompt when trying to load it...strange.

One possible problem may be that MEMDISK is using the wrong c/h/s settings. I did some research on the ZIP100 images and came back with 96/64/32. This is no where near what MEMDISK shows when loading the image. I found that you can pass parameters to MEMDISK manually setting the c/h/s, but everytime I try it seems they are ignored. There seems to be an over-ride in the CD SHell or ISOLINUX or somewhere... Please tell me how I can pass these parameters and try that! If there is another way to do this by all means let me know that too. Thanks

chadbh74

Solution discovered

#2 Post by chadbh74 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:03 pm

Well, I managed to fix this myself after all... I would still like to know about how to get those MEMDISK parameters in though.

Apparently the problem was in the .IMG files being made by UnDisker. It's a great program and the only one I've found yet that does what "I" want for creating images...that being of ANY drive.

Unfortunately, the resulting .IMG file of the ZIP-100 disk lacked a MBR. This is inherent of the ZIP disk format, as there is no MBR or partition table on them. Therefore MEMDISK and BCDW still tried loading the IMG files as floppy images leaving me with the drive assignment issue.

I did some further reading and found a post somewhere mentioning the new image editing features of the recent WinImage versions. Since I am a avid user of WinImage but haevn't upgraded recently I decided to try out the new version 8. (I was still using 6 and didn't know what I was missing haha) Anywhooo... The "Add MBR to image" option there fixed the .IMG.

Now, MEMDISK will load the .IMG file as C: drive, making all my physical drives accessible (hard drive assignments made by drivers in loadup and shifted). Only thing is MEMDISK takes a few minutes to load the 100MB image and I get a bunch of ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... across the screen. BCDW, however, loaded the image instantly and works flawlessly.

Just thought I would share this info in case someone else ran into anything similiar.

P.S. To the UBCD project author(s)... Thank you for a great compilation! This project has no doubt required many painstaking hours of development and troubleshooting. I've spent days alone on this one problem LOL. I do a good bit of E-baying and I will be on the look out for those scammers trying to sell in greed that which you have contributed selflessly out of the goodness of your heart and report back. Thanks again.