ubcd 3.4 not working

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

skipperbuddy

ubcd 3.4 not working

#1 Post by skipperbuddy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:46 pm

I downloaded ubcd34 full from numerous sites unzipped, ran or opened. Each time I received the iso file and used 'nero7' or 'DVD Decripter' I had what seemed to be a working cd. I'd restart the computer, ubcd would strart up, and then the problems would start. First the main menu would be displayed, then with any keystroke mainboard tools would show. Then with any keystroke 'expert menu' would be displayed and finally with the next keystroke the screen would go blank.
This happens with all my installs on RWs as well Rs.
I've used your ubcd v3.00 with a lot of success and am hoping to upgrade to v3.4

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:44 pm

This is rather puzzling. The expert menu is not supposed to be activated unless you press [Ins] at the menu (causing an asterisk to appear at the bottom left corner of the screen).

Did you try this on another machine? This version of CDShell is known to have problems on some machines, though not in the manner that you have described.

skipperbuddy

#3 Post by skipperbuddy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi
With 'any' keystroke the first screen is mainboard tools
then 'any' keystroke will bring up expert menu
then 'any' keystroke will bring up nothing, a blank, black screen

I'm using amd 1400
mainboard k7s5a pro
UBCD 3.00 works great
thanks

slinkygn

#4 Post by slinkygn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:40 am

I am having almost EXACTLY the same problem. No matter what keystroke (ANY keystroke -- an F key, Esc, a random letter/number), UBCD main menu would go to Mainboard Tools, then Expert Menu, but after the next keystroke, instead of going blank, it would boot OpenDOS.

The common link here: the motherboard of the PC this is occurring on is ALSO a K7S5A Pro. I've been trying to upgrade the BIOS on the machine to see if it makes a difference, but it has no floppy drive so that's a bit difficult. If I get the BIOS update in, I'll report back.

slinkygn

#5 Post by slinkygn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:14 pm

Veeery interesting.

First, some clarifications: yes, I was running 3.4. My original BIOS version was released 1/05. Again, the one difference with the OP was that I would boot into OpenDOS instead of just getting a blank screen.

I have now upgraded to the most recent BIOS, released 8/05. Now, after the same process as above, I get -- a blank screen. (!) So with the most recent BIOS, my symptoms are identical to the OP.

slinkygn

#6 Post by slinkygn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:32 am

UBCD 3.3 also exhibits the same problem -- slightly different details, but the problem of any keystroke navigating to a fixed set of screens remains. UBCD 3.2 is the latest version that works with this motherboard.

Would anyone be able to identify what changed between 3.2 and 3.3 that would have caused this problem?

Victor Chew

#7 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:43 pm

The biggest change between V3.2 and V3.3-4 is upgrading to the latest version of CDShell i.e. V2.0.11 to V2.1.6.

Since there is a great deal of difference between the two versions of CDShell, it is not so simple to switch between the two versions.

For example, diskemu under CDShell V2.1.x supports ISO image booting (certain images only). The syntax for bcdw has also been changed. Erwin's FreeDOS for UBCD (fdubcd.img) has also been updated to support parameter passing from memdisk and bcdw in CDShell V2.1.x.

Therefore, it is not easy to revert back to CDShell V2.0.x, though that scenario has been contemplated after users reported various issues with UBCD V3.3/CDShell V2.1.x.

Looks like we simply for to wait for a newer version of CDShell that fixes these machine-related issues.

slinkygn

#8 Post by slinkygn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:55 pm

Makes sense.

Do the CDShell guys already know of the bug?

Victor Chew

#9 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:06 am

Yup! You can even find some topics about boot problems on their own web forums.

But there has been no update from them since April 17, 2005.