boot from USB

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

devil_dog

boot from USB

#1 Post by devil_dog » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:44 am

Hey all,

Just landed at this wonderful site and am downloading the Boot images from the slow internet at my part of the world.

In the meantime i will be more at ease if anyone can confirm is UBCD will solve my problems and how to go about it.

The thing is i have a Sony Vaio S-series notebook with a 60 GB internal disk (win xp pro) which is full.

Now i wanted to play with linux (FC5) loading it on a USB disk(Will move it to main drive once im fullt confident).
The problem is that my BIOS has no way of booting off a USB drive. So is there some option in UBCD to do this? The bios allows boot from CD.

Ill be very gratefull if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Devil Dog

baronvonfoxbat7734

#2 Post by baronvonfoxbat7734 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:58 pm

There is nothing on the CD that will make your system do what it can't.

However...

With a bootable USB Stick in your USB port try to boot the system and see if there is a one time boot menu. On most systems now a days, there is boot options available to you such as like on Dell you can press F2 for BIOS and F12 for one time temp boot menu. I know that on some systems it will boot USB but there is no option in the BIOS to allow it. Your system may be like this. If there is try it. Otherwise... Check for BIO update to see if that function gets enabled.