Virus issues - No Hard drive accessible to scan..

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

papamambo

Virus issues - No Hard drive accessible to scan..

#1 Post by papamambo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:57 am

I am having an issue where when I use the UBCD disk, my Hard drives are inaccessable when I try to do a Virus Scan on them. I have a nasty Trojan that causes my system to reboot ad infinitum the moment it gets to the desktop. This trojan is unfortunately protected with anti-cracking software (BAD hackers BAD!!!) :cry: I think the anti-cracking software is made by Themida or something.. Regardless...

When I use UBCD, I am able to boot to the UBCD frontend, and choose F4 (I think) for other utilities, and when I try to launch any of the Virusscanning utilities, the DosShell appears, and a virtual drive is loaded. Anything on the virtual drive can be scanned, but I am not able to scan my physical drive C: where I KNOW I have this Trojan. It's as if the physical drive isn't there at all. If I were to reboot again, and use the option to boot from my primary drive, it will let me so obviously the drive is still there. When I use the Seagate HDD tools, both of my Hard Drives are accessable to be scanned, and have shown up with no physical errors on them. It just seems that the 4 virus scanners that came with the ISO don't want to detect the HDD. Any Suggestions as to how I can make them show up. Is there something I should be typing into the Command Line Interface??? It's been far too long since I've used DOS, and I feel like such a n00b. :oops:

Please help!! I was planning on formatting this drive anyways and reinstalling XP and Vista, but there are files I need to recover from this drive before I can do that.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:40 pm

If your partition is NTFS, first check and make sure NTFSDOS is mounting that partition with a drive letter. You can type "NTFSDOS" at the DOS prompt to confirm.

Only when the partition is properly mounted will the antivir apps be able to scan the files within.

Also be aware that this operation is read-only (since the freeware version of NTFSDOS is read-only). You won't be able to "repair" the partition at all.

papamambo

Thanks

#3 Post by papamambo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:33 am

Thanks.. I managed to get it working with a copy of NTFSdos that allowed me to read and write. It didn't help, but I was able to get into windows safe mode (finally) to be able to delete the virus and all registry keys etc, so I am now Virus free.

Now that I have everything backed up that I needed I can go ahead and format, and install both Vista and Xp.