How can I use UBCD to restore a backed up registry?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Masterwebman

How can I use UBCD to restore a backed up registry?

#1 Post by Masterwebman » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:54 am

Mywindows xp home, on a eMachines desktop, crashed while doing a registry rollback. It corrupted the registry so the computer will not boot.

1. I made a ubcd on my laptop and it boots up the desktop. However, I cannot find any way for it to read my c: drive. I need some way to replace the corrupted registry with a good one. How can I do it? I don't know if the hard drive shipped ntfs or fat?

This seems like such a simple problem. I tried the windows repair console but it would not load because it couldn't find the Microsoft license.

I am also worried about Windows fixing the problem and writing over all of my data which would be a disaster, which is why I am fearful of running the restore cd which came with the computer.

Any advice would be very helpful.
thanks,

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:35 pm

Hmm if your drive doesn't seem to be recognized it's probably NTFS.
Then you should load NTFS4DOS (or a similar named program) that must be included somewhere.
Once it's done, you may try to do a scanreg /fix or scanreg /restore, if only that command still exists in Windows XP ...
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.