is there a really simple guide please?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

gracie

is there a really simple guide please?

#1 Post by gracie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:07 pm

hello folk. I have looked in the tutorial and how to section, but did not see a really simple - this-is-how-you-do-it guide, so here i am, hoping someone will tell me what I am doing wrong.

I have the ISO image of UBCD basic. There is a resident cd-rw utility on my machine ( Dell, XPSP2) but as it does not seem to have a burn option (as opposed to copy) I downloaded 'burnatonce' as advised in the UBCD FAQ.

I THINK it burned the image ok, though it only took 2 mins, not the 20 mins I was expecting from the faq, but the disk is not bootable. I assume I can only access the various utilities after the disk has booted and loaded them into accessible programs.

What am I doing wrong?

my machine is set to boot first from a cd.

All help appreciated, going to kip now but will be back tomorrow

night night

:)

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:22 am

First, try displaying the content of the CD on another machine. Do you see:
boot\
docs\
dosapps\
freesco\
images\
isolinux\
licenses\
tools\
ubcd\
mkubcd.bat
ubcd.ico
autorun.inf
mkubcd.sh
If not, your CD is not burned correctly, and you need to find some other way to do it.

Otherwise, refer to this recent thread and read the FAQ entries that I pointed out.

gracie

#3 Post by gracie » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:53 am

thank you for answering Victor. I had a look at the cd via 'explore' on this computer, and all files are present EXCEPT for the autorun.inf.

I had come here from the faq page and been down that, following advice where I could, and just been back in case I missed something, but can't find a pertinent comment. I suppose I could rub it out and start all over again... ?

baronvonfoxbat7734

#4 Post by baronvonfoxbat7734 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:47 am

Another small suggestion i would like to make would be to try Imgburn 2.1 It is a free utility that specializes in burning iso files. Once you have the UBCD extracted from its exe or zip file or what have you, simply open imgburn and point to the iso and it will burn directly from the iso to the disk.

It sounds like you did right but something got screwed up.

gracie

#5 Post by gracie » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:27 am

thank you Baron, I will download and do that later on today :)

gracie

#6 Post by gracie » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:46 am

done that Baron, worked fine. Still didn't boot though, so I put an OS disk in to the dvd drive, just to check it wasn't the computer at fault. That was fine, so I then put UBCD into the dvd drive and whey-hey, from that drive, it booted. :D

I wanted to check on the UB disk because someone said there was a free data recovery utility on it. I somewhat doubted that to be so, but, as I do a fair bit of computer repairs, was curious to see for myself. The data recovery software I use does the job fine, so really I am just being nosey... :)

thanks for your help

appreciated :)

baronvonfoxbat7734

#7 Post by baronvonfoxbat7734 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:14 pm

Glad it worked for you! I like many other people on this board have found this disk to be invaluable to our duties whether it be for corp repair or just fixing on the side.

Sometimes the hardest obsitcles to overcome are the easiest in hind site...