Memdisk floppy autodetect

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

dilar

Memdisk floppy autodetect

#1 Post by dilar » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:39 am

Hello!
Below is an excerpt from a ISOLinux thread in October. I have the same problem, but my laptop (which is a Brand new HP Compaq NC6230) does not have options in the BIOS to enable or disable floppy support. It just doesn't have one. I assume it leaves it enabled for USB Floppy support, but does not come with the drive.

My ISOLinux setup is a UBCD. I tried to make my own, but the lack of
documentation made it really daunting. I need to have the UBCD anyways
Furthermore, I was wondering why it seemed 2.88MB floppies work just fine. Most of the floppies that come with UBCD are 1.62 or 2.88, so is it just that my 1.44 floppy image wont work?

Btw, my floppy image is created by the "floppy image" program, in compatibility mode. It is a Ghost-made boot disk with IBM PC-DOS, for drive mapping.

Perplexed,
Rick Carroll

UPDATE: Changing the format of the image to 2.88 has not worked either.

Anssi Kolehmainen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I
stumbled on a rather odd problem. A brand new HP Compaq dx2200 computer didn't want to boot up pxelinux+memdisk image. The computer just gave "Disk I/O error" and stopped there. Workaround was rather simple... Just attach regular floppy drive to the motherboard and everything started working fine. I tried with older 2.05 pxelinux+memdisk) and newer 3.31. Both produced same non-working results when floppy drive was not connected. Changing bios settings (floppy controller enabled/disabled, floppy 1.44/none) didn't help (actually with floppy controller disabled boot failed even with drive connected). Booting works just fine with any other computer (so image & environment is OK). Boot disk is made with Windows 98 boot files.

Does anybody have any ideas how to make booting work
(without using extra floppy drive)? Hard drive images might work, but boot images must be easily modifiable from Windows XP and last time I checked there was no "loop-device" for Windows.

INT 13 08: Success, count = 1, BPT = f000:99a9
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No wonder you're having problems. Your BIOS says there is a floppy
drive in the system when there isn't. Did you disable the floppy in the
BIOS, or did you just remove the drive?

-hpa

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:10 pm

Besides memdisk, have you also tried diskemu and bcdw?