How to repair bad sectors ?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

fg03

How to repair bad sectors ?

#1 Post by fg03 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:04 am

Hi,

I am trying UBCD Full
But I don't really fond tools to repair my HDD as Netbootdisk told me bad sectors on differents locations.
I only see seagate, Maxtor and Samsung menus !??
Nothing for generic bad sector issues !??
I own an old toshiba notebook.
I went to different menus for filesystem.. but nothing much interesting.
I guess UBCD is a good pointto begin to create its own custom CD with different menus.
So what to do tu get rif off bad sectors ?
Thanks.

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:51 am

Hello ^^

You may try a low level format, it may fix bad sectors, if the surface is not too much damaged.

MaxLLF usually works fine also with non-maxtor drives, though of course there is no garantee.
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

fg03

#3 Post by fg03 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi,

I don't have this feature within Toshiba BIOS.
I'd try such thing as soon I cloned my hard drive
I found some hint to ignore bad sector reads while ghost is creating image
Symantec Support wrote:If this error occurs regardless of your Ghost version, it is probably due to bad sectors on the destination drive if restoring an image, or due to bad sectors on the source drive if creating an image. Run Scandisk, CheckDisk, or Norton Disk Doctor with a thorough surface test.
If the problem persists, run Ghost with the -BFC switch. This will allow Ghost to ignore up to 500 bad blocks on the destination drive.
To clone a disk that has numerous bad sectors, run Ghost with the -FRO switch. This instructs Ghost to continue cloning regardless of the number of bad sectors.

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:39 pm

fg03 wrote:Hi,

I don't have this feature within Toshiba BIOS.
Well as far as I know, it rarely is available in the BIOS (unless you have a SCSI controller), though it happened on old PCs (like maybe at the time of 486s' ^^ ), or maybe it can be called through a specific assembly command directed to the hdd controller... well, not very easy anyway ^^

MaxLLF is included in UBCD (though its name may be different, I don't remember precisely). Good luck in saving whatever data you need from that hard drive ;)
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

fg03

#5 Post by fg03 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:27 am

I found someting working !
Using Ghost options I can bypass read errors..up to xxx blocks or always ignored.
I would now be able to take all dispositions to repair this drive