Help to get a DOS image to boot

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Marsha

Help to get a DOS image to boot

#1 Post by Marsha » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:37 pm

Hello folks,

UBCD is great and I've been using it since early in rev. 3. I'd like to move to rev 4 but seem to be stuck on 3.4 for the following reason.

I have one dos program (Image for DOS from Terabyte) and it never would boot (even at 3.3 or 3.4) with memdisk - but it boots fine with dosemu. So in the old days that was fine.

Basically when I start that program (custom menu, of course) in 3.4 with memdisk, isolinus gets to "booting image....boot..." and hangs. In 4.0, when I boot the image, the boot program puts the screen black for a few seconds (like all boots) and then reboots the computer.

I've tried a number of different dos images (Win98, XP bootable disk, just created via the Terabyte MakeDisk, etc.) and I've created images from the floppy with both floppyimage 1.52 and with WinImage - nothing seems to make a difference.

Anyone got a good solution or suggestion for me?

Thanks
Marsha

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:07 am

Did you try with "basic" 4.0 version or 4.0.3 ?
If you tried only 4.0, maybe it will work fine with 4.0.3 ... a little thing causing similar problems with some apps (such as Partition Magic 8 if I remember well ) was fixed since 4.0
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

Victor Chew

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:21 am

Try using memdisk's "raw" parameter:

Code: Select all

LABEL imagedos
    MENU LABEL Image for DOS
    KERNEL memdisk
    APPEND initrd=/images/imagedos.img raw
Works for me.

Marsha

#4 Post by Marsha » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:52 am

Constance:
Yes, I was using 4.03 - I always check for upgrades prior to asking for help with a problem.

Victor:
Thank you so much. That fixed the problem. I had no idea that I should have even tried the "raw" parameter, and even after reading Anvin's description of what it does, I'm not clear why I needed it. But it works and your answer was certainly speedy. Thanks again for the great tools and your great support.
Marsha