Integrating PartedMagic into UBCD 3.4

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

johnnysmooth

Integrating PartedMagic into UBCD 3.4

#1 Post by johnnysmooth » Thu May 17, 2007 3:48 am

Dear All,

I've been trying to integrate PartedMagic into ubcd because of its excellent file utilities, but I can't get it to work. It uses isolinux, and so what I've done is download the image of Partedmagic. extracted the files from it, copying the program file to the root directory of ubcd. I did not replace isolinux.cfg in ubcd with the one that came with PartedMagic, but tried copying key commands from the latter the appropriate line in the .scn file.

That line now reads:

if ($lastKey == key[f2]); then isolinux bzImage
APPEND noapic initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=100000 TIMEOUT 200 PROMPT 1 DISPLAY boot.msg LABEL

I don't know if I need all this information. When I try to boot this option it tells me that 'cannot find kernel image: vmlinuz.

Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks.

The Piney

#2 Post by The Piney » Thu May 17, 2007 9:07 pm

I'm kind of new to customizing this project and the newer versions seem to be a bit different, but:

"if ($lastKey == key[f2]); then isolinux bzImage
APPEND noapic initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=100000 TIMEOUT 200 PROMPT 1 DISPLAY boot.msg LABEL

I don't know if I need all this information. When I try to boot this option it tells me that 'cannot find kernel image: vmlinuz."

--Try renaming your bzImage to vmlinuz in the edited .scn or rename the file to bzImage..

I'm using UBCD 4.1.1 currently and have pmagic working fine using a customized menu.cfg files as follows:

livecd4.cfg
========================

MENU INCLUDE /menus/defaults.cfg
LABEL back
MENU LABEL ..
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /menus/livecd.cfg
LABEL partedmagic
MENU LABEL Parted Magic 1.6
KERNEL /custom/pmagic
APPEND noapic initrd=/custom/pmagic.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=100000
LABEL lowmem
MENU LABEL Parted Magic 1.6 Low Mem
KERNEL /custom/pmagic
APPEND noapic initrd=/custom/pmagic.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=16384

If you need/want the livecd.cfg or main.cfg files let me know..

I haven't tried any customizing of the older UBCD so I haven't edited any of the .scn files so not sure if they will work...

I just renamed the vmlinuz to pmagic - and other file the isolinux folder to pmagic.gz and put them in the custom folder and left the PMAGIC file in the root of UBCD..

Hope this helps...

Scott Cooper

#3 Post by Scott Cooper » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:29 pm

johnnysmooth, are you using UBCD4.x or 3.x? Your boot command looks like a CD Shell command which 4.x does not use.

johnnysmooth

#4 Post by johnnysmooth » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:19 am

Hi Scott,

Sorry about the delayed response! I'm actually using ubcd 3.4. Given that I've spent ages customing 3.4 for use at work and home, I don't really want to have to upgrade to 4.1.1 at this stage.

But which of these stages is wrong? :

a. copy the extracted program file to ubcd's root directory

b. don't replace ubcd's isolinux.cfg with the one that came with PartedMagic.

c. edit the one in ubcd so that it can run partedmagic. (Replacving breaks other programs, apparently).

I'm not really sure which commands to include, and I keep getting the kernal image not found error. I'm sure the solution's simple, but I just need poiinted to it!

Thanks for any help you can offer.