Could the top level directory be kept clean?

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

deadbug

Could the top level directory be kept clean?

#1 Post by deadbug » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:08 am

I tried searching to see if someone has asked this before and didn't find anything, but if I'm repeating an earlier request, I'm sorry!

I've been producing my own bootable DVD with stuff on it (both free things like SLAX and non-free things like Windows XP).

UBCD is a great tool and an essential requirement of such a disk but adding it is slightly awkward. It puts much of its stuff in the top level (root) directory.

To avoid clashing with other things that I wish to add, I have to move everything (except /boot I guess) to a subdirectory (/UBCD) and then go and fiddle with all the isolinux config files.

It's not hard to do this but it is error prone (I'd need to do a chunk of testing to check that I've got it right) and it's tedious (I'll need to repeat the work each time UBCD is updated).

Any chance that UBCD could hide itself under a subdirectory as much as possible?

I think it would make customising UBCD somewhat easier - it would certainly make things easier for me :-) I don't think it would make things any harder for anyone else.

By moving things to a subdirectory tree, the most I would have to worry about is other disks that use /boot. That's a much easier problem to solve even when adding a few Linux distros and/or Live CDs.

Thanks for a great tool BTW.

Victor Chew

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:59 am

Suggestion noted. Thanks! Will try to factor this into the next release. Just don't ask me when it will be. :D I thought I was almost done last month, but was set back by an increased work load. Looks like it's going to be next year.

Icecube

#5 Post by Icecube » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:44 am

I hope that you keep the top level of ubcd as clean as possible in the next release. Hopefully most directories will be removed from the root folder of UBCD so UBCD will look like somting like this:

Code: Select all

isolinux\
syslinux\
ubcd\
  boot\
  custom\
  dosapps\
  images\
  menus\
  tools\
  website\
  ubcd.ico
autorun.inf
The freedos images must be edited (probably the most work), all the startup.bat scripts in the dosapps folder, all the cfg files and the autorun.ini file (adjust path for the icon).