A way to show it's a customized version ?

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Constance

A way to show it's a customized version ?

#1 Post by Constance » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:18 pm

Hello there ^^

So, since I finally got myself into the process of customizing/updating a bit the UBCD for my personal use, I'd like to know if there is a way to show in the menus it's my customized version ?

Of course I don't want to remove the original text with the version and link to the official website, just to add a note near it that would appear on all menu screens, so if I make myself several versions of my customized disc, I don't mistake one for another or such. Also if I ever do a copy of it for friends or workmates, they know it's not the original one even though based on it.

If there is no clean way to do it yet (except the graphic vesamenu... maybe ? ), could it be added in the next release ? :]
Would be nice if there was some editable text file for that, which would add a field under the "title bar".

Maybe even add a line for customized versions saying to NOT distribute that one (if we added some copyrighted software, etc...)

Here's a faked screenshot that shows how I'd like it :p

Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

The Piney

#2 Post by The Piney » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Can you just edit defaults.cfg and add a line just before PROMPT 0?

I haven't tried this but just a suggestion - or maybe adding a line to the top of the main.cfg.

similar to:

MENU INCLUDE /menus/defaults.cfg
LABEL Customized
MENU LABEL Customized by: Constance
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND
LABEL mainboard
MENU LABEL Mainboard Tools
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /menus/mboard.cfg

Maybe leave the APPEND out... Not sure if it would work but may be worth some experimenting..

Just some thoughts...

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Oki, thanks for your answers :]
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.

Scott Cooper

#5 Post by Scott Cooper » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:46 pm

You can edit the MENU TITLE line in defaults.cfg to say it is customized. Alternatively, edit startup.msg in isolinux and syslinux folders to give a longer message before the menu appears.

Constance

#6 Post by Constance » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks, I'll give it a try someday :]