SafeGuard Easy

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

conqueror

SafeGuard Easy

#1 Post by conqueror » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. I recently bought a cheap laptop from a bankrupt office supplies company and the laptop has safeguard easy on it with username/password. This loads up before you get to windows. So the question is will the UBCD be able to boot up the machine and will i then be able to remove this program?

Thanks

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:30 am

I suspect that you don't have the password. The best thing is to reinstall windows on it. If you have the password, you probably can uninstall it. I don't know the product so I don't know if it is possible. But a reinstall of windows will be the best way anyway, because the uninstall program needs to decrypt the entire drive. If the uninstall program can't or won't do it, you can't boot into windows any more, due the encryption.
SafeGuard Easy provides this protection: No unauthorized user may access the device and read data or use the device as a tool to enter the company network. If a device gets into unauthorized hands, the data is securely protected even if the hard disk is removed. Complete encryption of the entire hard disk and a user authentication procedure that runs before the operating system boots provide secure protection.
http://www.utimaco.com/C125748F0037440F ... M068OBELEN

conqueror

Will not let me get to windows stage

#3 Post by conqueror » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:20 am

Thanks for the response but the problem is this loads up before you even get to the windows logon stage I think someone with more PC knowledge then me said it loads up on the BIOS or MRB or something along those lines. My problem is that I cannot even get to the stage of reloading Windows!

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:44 am

Yes, it does boot up before windows start.

Put a windows install CD in your CD drive and set your bios to boot from CDROM as first device.

Take a look at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/ ... o_the_BIOS, to get an idea how the settings wiil look in the bios. If you have another type of bios vendor, this will look different.

Search for the next text on that page:
Changing the boot sequence in CMOS
This setting controls the sequence in which the PC's BIOS will search for a bootable device at each boot-up.
The computer will try to boot the first bootable device it finds.
If you have a bootable floppy disc or a bootable CD-ROM, you need to set the BIOS to look in the floppy disc drive and/or the CD/DVD drive before it looks at the hard disk drive or your floppy disk or CD won't boot.

TecNickal

#5 Post by TecNickal » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 am

Found this topic searching Google. Have the same issue as the original poster. Don't buy laptops from a bankrupt company...

Anyways, following what you posted, I can get into the Windows setup screen. I get to the page that asks me what I want to do, and I choose install windows (press enter), I agree to the terms ( F8 ), and that's as far as I will get. Windows says something along the lines of I don't have a storage device installed.

Impossible, since I do. Windows boots up to the logon screen. So I know the SafeGuard program is blocking the installation of an OS/format of the hard drive (what it's designed to do).

So what can I do? I am quite happy to replace the hard drive with a new one...but that won't change anything if Safeguard is installed in the BIOS right?

Thanks. This is a Compaq nc6400 laptop.

Icecube

#6 Post by Icecube » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:56 pm

Add the necessary drivers to your windows install CD:
http://www.nliteos.com/

Or build a bootable windows CD with UBCD4WIN, which has the necessary dirvers:
http://www.ubcd4win.com