Windows XP Reset Tool

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

zxspectrum

Windows XP Reset Tool

#1 Post by zxspectrum » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:00 am

hi,I'm a every day user of UBCD,and I must say it is the best tool ever.that is exactly why I want to write to this forum about one issue that is on my mind from a long time.you see, i use norton ghost to restore the same image (which is complete,office nero and the rest of the utilities) of windows xpsp2 on different systems with different mainboards and with different chipsets (i have a small home network),and, as you guys know, there is a security issue of wxp when changing motherboard with different chipset.(the blue screen appears and the computer resets).currently i restore the image and then use the repair option in wxp setup,but i have read somewhere that there is such a tool for reseting windows so it does start fresh and redetect the hardware on the computer (the situation is like w98 that works on any mainboard with any type of chipset).Now, i have figured that if such tool realy exist you guyz shoud certainly know about it.some people say that some kind of program to do this really exists on the wxp oem preinstallation kit but i did not find it.if someone knows anything about this problem pls let me know,or if there is another method to use the same ghost image of windows xp sp2 on different mainboards,pls let me know.Much Obliged,thx

P.S. if this tool really exists,i'm sure many ubcd users will find it usefull and therefore i suggest adding it to the next version of UBCD.

HippieCat

#2 Post by HippieCat » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:48 pm

I do beleive that this utility is an illegal utility :( I have seen it before but really can't disuss it here, sorry. There are also utilities to rest the XP key but those are a no-no as well.

Sorry I could not be more help.

-HippieCat

BTW: Microsoft now asks you to purchase a new CD key upon installation of a new motherboard. :cry:

Scott Cooper

#3 Post by Scott Cooper » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:47 pm

Unfortunately Windows 2000 and XP need to have the same hard disk channel driver (SCSI or IDE or SATA) to move a drive from system to sysetm. I don't think it was an anti-piracy measure but a holdover from NT4.

One possible way to do it is to switch the hard disk controller to the default MS driver and then make the image, but it doesn't always work and you'd still have to reinstall the drivers and reactivate.

The best way in this case is to setup Ghost images per motherboard/system.

digge

#4 Post by digge » Wed May 10, 2006 5:31 am

There is no hocus pocus about it. And not illegal at all. You can use micosofts sysprep tool to "reseal" the windows installation before making a ghost backup of it. That way it will redetect drivers and stuff on first bootup.

NOTE: This has nothing to do with serial key or anything, only the drivers get redetected.

EDIT: Here is a link that describes it better. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307