First Time User; Happy and Appreciative

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

fxars

First Time User; Happy and Appreciative

#1 Post by fxars » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:32 am

I'd like to take a moment to say what fun I had using INSERT on UBCD. For some time now, I've had 2 disks in my XP machine, one of which was 10GB, was almost full, and was acting as the system, or C: drive.

While I have experience using ghost at work, I thought I'd try using open source tools to see if I could accomplish the movement of my C: drive data to a new drive.

I bought an 80GB drive, partitioned half of it using INSERT's fdisk. I used partimage to save the data in a spare ext3 partition (which I also created using fdisk).

I then restored it onto the new HD. I did make the mistake of copying the old MBR onto the new drive, but the system did boot up. However, XP did show the partition as being only 10GB, the old size. To correct the problem all I had to do was go back into INSERT and resize the 10GB partition to a bigger size.

While I was waiting for data to backup and copy over to the new drive, I was able to download firefox and surf.

Even the networking part was easy, since I have a D-Link router that provides dhcp services. Very cool.

I will definitely keep UBCD as a part of my toolkit. Thanks for the work you've put into it.

As I write this, I'm using XP's defrag utility, which was long overdue, and which wouldn't work w/o some free space.

Thanks again.

=== Al