UBCD Copyright

Report new bugs here, or look at known issues of current and previous releases of UBCD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

gtamplin

UBCD Copyright

#1 Post by gtamplin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Even though each of the individual contents of the UBCD are either in public domain, or are shareware, or freeware, there is still a way for the CD and its images to be copyrighted.
This is a way to discourage others from selling copies, but not sharing the proceeds to help support Ultimate Boot CD website and efforts.
The type of copyright I refer to is known as a form of Common Law Copyright, and it is the FORM in which the information is presented that is subject to copyright.
In other words, public domain information content is not itself copyrighted, but if the presentation is unique, such as assembling them onto a CD in a particular order or fashion, then the format copyright is proper.
If Ebay is notified, I suspect they may be inclined to discontinue listings selling copies of UBCD without express permission from Victor.

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:04 am

Thanks for the information.

AFAIK, people who sell UBCD on eBay typically make modifications to the final CD that they sell, like adding extra apps, or combine it with UBCD for Windows. Of course, the thing that annoys me the most is they remove the link back to the project website, leaving their buyers totally unaware that UBCD is free.

Then there is the issue of execution, which I am reluctant to pursue myself, since sorting out copyright issues with eBay etc. is not my idea of fun. However if any of you would like to notify eBay on my behalf, I'd have no objections.