A success story with EditBINI

If you have a tutorial or tip related to the UBCD, why not share it with other users here?

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Victor Chew

A success story with EditBINI

#1 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:02 pm

I just successfully helped out a friend using EditBINI, so I thought I'd share the experience here in case someone else might benefit from it.

I have a friend who has a Dell Inspirion notebook. Recently he upgraded his HDD from 80GB to 160GB. He used Acronis TrueImage to create an image of the 80GB HDD to an external USB drive, then clone it to the new HDD.

After doing that, his notebook wouldn't boot. It just says:

Code: Select all

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.
After mucking around with his machine for a few hours and googling for information, I finally did something that worked. Using EditBINI, I edited his BOOT.INI file from:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
to

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
I think it has got something to do with a hidden partition on his original Dell HDD that wasn't cloned over to his new harddisk.

baronvonfoxbat7734

#2 Post by baronvonfoxbat7734 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:54 am

This was more than likely the Diagnostic tool partition. It is a hidden partition at the begining of the drive that contains the Dell only diag tools. That would explain why it was partition 2 originally but Partition 1 afterwards.

The Piney

#3 Post by The Piney » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:25 pm

Are you still able to get into setup? If it's like the HP/Compaq systems you may want to go to the Dell site and see if you can get that downloaded and reinstalled. Then the image would probably work without the edit. He/You may also be able to run the Dell diags off of a CD and save the hassle of loading onto the drive.