How can i make dosubcd.img bigger so that i can put files in

If you have a tutorial or tip related to the UBCD, why not share it with other users here?

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

hoohooslax

How can i make dosubcd.img bigger so that i can put files in

#1 Post by hoohooslax » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:55 am

i want to put a 20MB file in dosubcd.img so that I can run it when freedos boots. However, dosubcd.img has a size limit of 2.88MB. How can I expand the limit? I tried UltraISO and WinImage, neither works for me.

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:45 am

What is kind of file is it? The programs that are booted via the freedos image are files that are not in the freedos image itself (/dosapps/ folder). so if you need this file after the whole freedos image is booted up, you can access the file from the cd.

You can also make a hard disk image of the freedos image (needs and mbr).
See http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.ph ... isk_images.
Or you can try to make a large floppy with a script, but I think that it is limited to 10 MB.
See http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.ph ... ppy_images.

I would suggest to try to add the file only on the cd and not in the freedos image. Can you explain what kind of file(s) it is?

hoohooslax

#3 Post by hoohooslax » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:17 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

It's a PDK folder containing all the utilities to change BIOS info, serial number, run disk test, etc....I need to boot from dosubcd.img, which is on a PXE Server. It's not booting from the CD. Therefore, I need to expand dosubcd.img so that I can put the PDK folder in. BTW, is dosubcd.img bootable by itself(if it is actually a 2.88M floppy disk)?

Now I have learned how to expand the .img file using WIN IMAGE. Howver, after I put the PDK folder in and save the .ima file, gzip it to dosubcd.ima.gz, rename it to dosubcd.igz, and then put it back to ./images/. After reboot, when I select to boot from freedos, it runs until "Loading boot sector...booting....(next line) FreeDos" Then it stops running. Do you know why? Thanks again.

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:11 pm

What is a PDK folder?
What does each of those tools need. Need they special drivers or so or do you just need a dos bootdisk? If not, it will be probably easier to start from an installation of freedos installed on the harddisk of a virtual machine.
http://www.freedos.org/

The freedos image of ubcd is bootable of course. If you have a 2.88M floppy disk laying around, you could boot from it.
hoohooslax wrote:After reboot, when I select to boot from freedos, it runs until "Loading boot sector...booting....(next line) FreeDos" Then it stops running. Do you know why?
I don't know, but there must be something wrong. Have you tried to boot the image directly in a virtual machine? See if that works.

hoohooslax

#5 Post by hoohooslax » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:30 pm

Simply put, the PDK folder has syscfg.exe, which can change the BIOS configuration; and edidos.exe, which alters the OEM serial number. I don't think this info is very important though, since what I want is just to expand the size limit of the dosubcd.img AND have it working as usual, i.e. bootable and can run applications as usual. Thank you for your time!