Please help test UBCD V5.0b4

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

as702

#21 Post by as702 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 am

looks funky. :o

Icecube

#22 Post by Icecube » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:13 pm

I have compiled the free antivirus ClamAV.
See: viewtopic.php?t=1361

I also found a GUI for F-Prot Antivirus, called XFPROT.
See: viewtopic.php?t=1361

as702

#23 Post by as702 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:03 am

i like the push towards getting a more robust/complete form of virus detection/removal up and running. :)

btw, someone may want to check the ultra-defensive/defensive modes in freedos when loaded with no UMB (it crashes and autoexec breaks).

:D

Victor Chew

#24 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:33 am

@Icecube: Thanks! I have fixed the Parted Magic menu problem as you suggested.

As to the color scheme, I will try out yours for 5.0b3 with a slight mod: I have restored the menu selection bar by tweaking "MENU COLOR SEL".

As for hot keys, still don't think I will adopt it even though they are hidden. A few reasons: 1) Hot keys are sticky, and it will be difficult to re-org the menu when people get used to certain key combinations. 2) They are difficult to maintain i.e. when menu items are moved around, the hot key assignment needs to be constantly fixed. 3) I am still not convinced of the utility of hot keys. If you have a few apps that you really want hot keys for, it will be easy to assign them via customization. But to assign a hot key for *every* app, with the possibility that they could be changed with each release, plus they are hidden in the menu?! Doesn't sound great to me.

I also find the multi-color messages that you proposed too loud (hee hee!), but I think making certain keywords bold-faced will be a nice addition. Do you have any editor that you use to add those ANSI codes? Currently I am using PSPad hex editor for this purpose, but it would be nice if there is a WYSIWYG alternative.

Icecube, it does seem we are not very compatible when it comes to colors and taste :D

Icecube

#25 Post by Icecube » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:11 pm

Victor Chew wrote:@Icecube: Thanks! I have fixed the Parted Magic menu problem as you suggested.
:) Just a question: Have you edited all the suggested config files or only the others.cfg?
Victor Chew wrote:As to the color scheme, I will try out yours for 5.0b3 with a slight mod: I have restored the menu selection bar by tweaking "MENU COLOR SEL".
:D. It was the first time that I made a color scheme for an isolinux menu. I don't know if you have seen or tried it before, but the colors are not everywhere the same when you use the same color code. I just figured it out why this is the case; I just saw that in the menu title is also set to bold which makes that the color code for brown foreground will be displayed yellow. I though that the bold thing meant the same as in a normal text editor :x. Now it makes sense to me that there are more color codes available in the DISPLAY FILE FORMAT mode, while in fact there are the same number of different colors available :D.
Victor Chew wrote:As for hot keys, still don't think I will adopt it even though they are hidden. A few reasons: 1) Hot keys are sticky, and it will be difficult to re-org the menu when people get used to certain key combinations. 2) They are difficult to maintain i.e. when menu items are moved around, the hot key assignment needs to be constantly fixed. 3) I am still not convinced of the utility of hot keys. If you have a few apps that you really want hot keys for, it will be easy to assign them via customization. But to assign a hot key for *every* app, with the possibility that they could be changed with each release, plus they are hidden in the menu?! Doesn't sound great to me.
It was the best idea that I could find, because you didn't want to see the hotkeys. I also thought about adding a invisible hotkey to each item when you press the first character of the menu item. I thought that if you pressed a key twice that it would go to the following menu item, but that doesn't work sadly enough. Editing the files will be indeed a mess, maybe it can be solved if someone writes a web page with some javascript or just a script, which can parse a "clean' config file (without hotkeys) to a config file with hotkeys. so when you edit the clean config files, you can switch and add items as many as you want, without editing the hotkeys by yourself. This maybe is worth a topic in the Tutorials & How-Tos section, so that people who want hotkeys, like I do, can get them easily.
Victor Chew wrote:I also find the multi-color messages that you proposed too loud (hee hee!), but I think making certain keywords bold-faced will be a nice addition.
Yes, the multi-color message is too loud. I was the first time that I made one when there is so much text on a page :) . I don't know if you are going to include the GUI for F-prot or Clam-Av (see the Antivirus topic), but if you do, you probably have to assign a text message to "F2", so that the text gets more space and that the colors don't make you blind :D.
Victor Chew wrote:Do you have any editor that you use to add those ANSI codes? Currently I am using PSPad hex editor for this purpose, but it would be nice if there is a WYSIWYG alternative.
You can use Notepad2, maybe it works also in Notepad++ (I didn't test it) or in other text editors. Open the file that you want to edit. Go with the cursor to the place where you want to insert the ASCII codes.

You know the following already (syslinux documentation):

Code: Select all

<FF>                                    <FF> = <Ctrl-L> = ASCII 12
        Clear the screen, home the cursor.  Note that the screen is
        filled with the current display color.

<SI><bg><fg>                            <SI> = <Ctrl-O> = ASCII 15
        Set the display colors to the specified background and
        foreground colors, where <bg> and <fg> are hex digits,
        corresponding to the standard PC display attributes:

0 = black               8 = dark grey
        1 = dark blue           9 = bright blue
        2 = dark green          a = bright green
        3 = dark cyan           b = bright cyan
        4 = dark red            c = bright red
        5 = dark purple         d = bright purple
        6 = brown               e = yellow
        7 = light grey          f = white

Picking a bright color (8-f) for the background results in the
        corresponding dark color (0-7), with the foreground flashing.

<SUB>                                   <SUB> = <Ctrl-Z> = ASCII 26
        End of file (DOS convention).
e.g. to clear the screen at the beginning of the file. The ASCII code for clearing the screen is "12" (<FF>=Form feed).
Press <Alt> + 0012 (hold Alt key while typing zero, zero, one, two after each other at the numeric keypad).
This will display FF inverted (white text, black background) in Notepad2. It will be treated as one character.

e.g. to insert the ASCII code for making colors: (ASCII 15 = <SI> = Shift In)
Press <Alt> + 0015 (hold Alt key while typing zero, zero, one, five after each other at the numeric keypad).
This will display SI inverted (white text, black background) in Notepad2. It will be treated as one character.

The inserting of the ASCII codes works also in notepad, but you will only see a square, so you can't distinguish the different ASCII codes that you have inserted.

There is also a new syslinux available (3.70). The most relevant changes for ubcd are probably the following.
* Change to the A20 algorithm which *MIGHT* help systems that have systems which freeze when Syslinux is used with USB keyboards. Note that this has been hard do verify, so I would greatly appreciate feedback on it.
* SYSLINUX: VFAT long filename support.
Also memdisk is updated. And chain.c32 gets a lot of extra options.
* MEMDISK: Any image less than 4096K (4 MB) is treated as a floppy disk. The geometry-guessing code will recognize all common extended formats, but it is still possible some very exotic formats need geometry specification. Large floppies and very small harddisks still need explicit specification.
* chain.c32: option "swap" to support swapping of BIOS drive numbers. This is necessary to boot certain operating systems (DOS, Windows) from a secondary drive.
* chain.c32: option "file=" to support loading a boot file from the SYSLINUX filesystem instead of loading the boot sector from the drive.
* chain.c32: option "seg=" to control the load location.
* chain.c32: option "ntldr=" as a shorthand for "seg=0x2000 file="; use this to load one of WinNT's loaders:

chain.c32 hd0 1 ntldr=/MiniNT/setupldr.bin

Note that the file needs to be in the SYSLINUX filesystem.

* chain.32: options "freedos=" and "msdos="/"pcdos=" as shorthands for "seg=0x60 file=" and "seg=0x70 file=" respectively; use this to load FreeDOS's kernel.sys, MS-DOS's io.sys or PC-DOS's ibmbio.sys.
* chain.c32: support "boot" as the drive specification, indicating the drive from which it was booted (for syslinux/extlinux).
* SYSLINUX/EXTLINUX: support "localboot" with the same feature set as ISOLINUX.
* chain.c32: fix booting from logical partitions (Sergey Vlasov.)
Complete changelog: http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Changelog

Are you going to include more antivirus programs or not? I don't use windows any more so I don't need them for myself. If you don't want to include other virus scanners and if nobody else asks about it, I probably won't work further on it. I already compiled "Clam-Av" (open source) and a GUI for F-prot (67 kiB).

Victor Chew

#26 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:59 am

@icecube:
Just a question: Have you edited all the suggested config files or only the others.cfg?
All the *.cfg files.
There is also a new syslinux available (3.70).
Updated in 5.0b3. Thanks!
Are you going to include more antivirus programs or not? I don't use windows any more so I don't need them for myself. If you don't want to include other virus scanners and if nobody else asks about it, I probably won't work further on it. I already compiled "Clam-Av" (open source) and a GUI for F-prot (67 kiB).
Yes. I just included ClamAV and X-FProt. Had problems with your clamav-definitions.7z (downloaded but bad archive), so I used freshclam to grab the latest and created my own .7z file.

Do you have a ClamAV GUI that you wanna share as well?

I will be wrapping up and releasing 5.0b3 soon.

Victor Chew

#27 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:56 am

UBCD V5.0b3 is now available for download as a torrent download.

Changelog:

- Updated syslinux to V3.70.

- Updated fdubcd.img with as702's version.

- Added ClamAV and X-FProt, contributed by Icecube.

- Adopted Icecube's new color theme.

- Added "Back to UBCD" from Parted Magic's boot menu.

johncoom

#28 Post by johncoom » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:46 am

Victor Chew wrote:UBCD V5.0b3 is now available for download as a torrent download.

Changelog:

- Updated syslinux to V3.70.

- Updated fdubcd.img with as702's version.

- Added ClamAV and X-FProt, contributed by Icecube.

- Adopted Icecube's new color theme.

- Added "Back to UBCD" from Parted Magic's boot menu.
This is as PM'd to the LinuxTracker member 'ubcd'

If you keep posting on the UBCD site forums your own LT membership Personal ID torrent, so we can not see if Guests are d/l'ing :-O or to make it look like you have good stats what ever etc.

Then do not be supprize's if it gets deleted - after you post a torrent (and d/l your personal ID torrent to seed with) you are then supposed to Log-out of LT and d/l (to another place on your HDD) a Guest torrent and then re-distrbute that one.

How do I know, the one posted at UBCD forums has this in it.
http://linuxtracker.org:2710/8aa877bf21 ... d/announce
where the alpha-numeric number = your personal LT member ID

A guest torrent has a string of Zero's in it.

You can open the torrent (or copy of) in a text editor to see this (you ignore the binary code after the text)

NOTE: saying 'but I/we did not know' is NO EXCUSE - if the UBCD project wants to continue using the FREE service that the LinuxTracker provides ? then it is up to YOU to be aware of and comply with how the LinuxTracker works :roll: other wise you are just abusing the LT.

NOTE: I will NOT come back here again to debate the issue - be grateful that I have made the effort and taken the time, to let you guys know.

yours a LT admin

Icecube

#29 Post by Icecube » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:09 pm

@ Victor
The torrent is gone. I tried to download it from LinuxTracker.org itself but it is already deleted.
Victor Chew wrote:Do you have a ClamAV GUI that you wanna share as well?
I will try to compile ClamTk as a GUI for ClamAv. The previous try (some weeks ago) failed.

I also had a problem with updating the definition files of F-prot (Out of memory message or something similar) when I tried ubcd50b1 in a virtual machine (qemu) with 450 MiB of RAM (which should be more than enough). ClamAv did update fine.

It is also possible to include stresscpu2 and mersene prime test in Parted Magic.

Victor Chew

#30 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:53 am

@johncoom:

Thanks for letting me know. No evil intentions on my part. I simply forgot, 'cos it was quite some time since I last used LinuxTracker.

I have made the necessary changes to comply with with LinuxTracker's site rules.

johncoom

#31 Post by johncoom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:08 am

Victor Chew wrote:@johncoom:

Thanks for letting me know. No evil intentions on my part. I simply forgot, 'cos it was quite some time since I last used LinuxTracker.

I have made the necessary changes to comply with with LinuxTracker's site rules.
Cool, Thumbs up.

Help us at LT to help the UBCD project by offering a free Tracker for you to use.

NB: I have always supported UBCD - since v.1.2 that I once posted/seeded on the old Supernova site :D
UBCD = fantastic tool and I once called it "computer-tech's essential tool kit" :)

johncoom

#32 Post by johncoom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:25 am

For the re-posted B3 torrent see:
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 43d4af98bf

You can either log-in at LT first then get your own LT-member personal member ID torrent (so you show up in the stats you that are seen when you click on the Seeder or Leechers numbers) or if you don't log-in and just d/l a torrent as a Guest where, all Guests are just lumped together and shown as one)

NB: LT has become a private tracker - but we also allow Guests (or visitors) to also BT-download.

Long live the UBCD :D

Victor Chew

#33 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 am

@johncoom:

I am pretty certain I did that i.e. I am seeding using my private torrent, but the public torrent that I am linking to is the guest torrent. If there's anything else I need to do, please let me know.

BTW, I think it would be more intuitive if both the private torrent and the public torrent are presented for download (with appropriate instructions) after a new torrent is successfully uploaded. This will help people who don't use LT regularly to do The Correct Thing. Having to log out to DL the guest torrent is an extra step that could best be skipped.

The Piney

#34 Post by The Piney » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:04 pm

That was one slow download for 214MB.. Took me roughly 13 hours and 20 minutes with a couple short interruptions due to a power outage and my system going down because it's not on one of my UPSs. Victor are you on dial-up? When I completed the download I was at a share ratio of 4.52 but the Linux Tracker showed the ratio at 0.90 for guests, is that right? Just prior to finishing the download I was showing 16 connected peers on uTorrent and the seeds went down to 9 or 10 immediately as the group started to finish. As I was nearing 99.7% a couple leechers logged on and actually completed the download before me, I hope that they stay and seed for a while. I usually have thunderstorms popping up around this time of day but looks clear so far so I'll keep seeding for a while unless something pops up fast. I'm showing 2 active leechers (peers) so I'll wait till at least they are completed... They are at 84 and 87% anyway so shouldn't be long anyway.

grayfox

Download

#35 Post by grayfox » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:31 pm

It took me 23 hrs to download.
All day and all night.
And I have cable. :cry:

as702

#36 Post by as702 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:36 am

bizarre. took me only 20 mins to download.

:)

The Piney

#37 Post by The Piney » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:51 am

Then you had to have started your download near the end of the group completing the download or after we completed our downloads. I hope to seeded for a while afterward. I guess that's why the guest account on LT showed 0.90 share ratio when I completed the download.

This was one of the oddest BitTorrents I've downloaded. I was showing in uTorrent to be at .1 to .2MB more than other leechers most of the time. As others would get to even or .1MB less than me, I would get a burst of download at 10 to 80KB/S and then I would upload at between 20 and 200KB/S for a few seconds until the rest of the leechers were caught up and then drop to very little to nothing for a while and then repeat over again a bit later. In the future if there is a way we can get the complete download to a few of us that have broadband before the bittorrent is uploaded I think the process could be much quicker. In the 13+ hours it took me to download the 214MB, I uploaded over 900MB.

as702

#38 Post by as702 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 am

The Piney wrote:In the 13+ hours it took me to download the 214MB, I uploaded over 900MB.
that's harsh, buddy. i did make sure to leave my torrent going after i had finished downloading.

it is strange though, i agree.

Victor Chew

#39 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Could it be due to my slow upload speed? I am using uTorrent as well, and I limit my upload speed to 20Kbytes/s, but this is shared across all the torrents I seed (I have 4 to 5 going concurrently, including ubcdv411.zip and ubcd411.exe).

The Piney

#40 Post by The Piney » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 am

That would do it, maybe while seeding the betas you can reduce the upload speed of the older torrents. If you let us know when your going to do that, I'll seed the older ones while the beta is being seeded and when the download is complete to a few of us, you can set it back and those of us that have downloaded the full torrent can take over the seeding.

You can limit per torrent in uTorrent by right clicking on the individual torrent and going to "Bandwidth Allocation" and then "Set Upload Limit"