Ubcd on Usb

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Stericson

Ubcd on Usb

#1 Post by Stericson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Greetings,

I have succesfully put ubcd on my usb stick, however, when using any tool that uses memdisk the dir "Dosapps" is not present, strangely, it is present when I boot from the cd. I have made sure that, to the best of my knowledge, every file is present and the same as the ones residing on the cd. As a result of the missing dir, none of the appended commands are working, such as cmospwd. However all of this works when booring from the cd. Why? Where has that dir gone? I have the folder "DosApps" on the usb stick...I don't understand why it isn't showing up in memdisk when booting from the usb stick.

Update:

I solved the issue and corrected the problem. For some reason ubcd2usb did not work for me, for some reason or another. My best guess is that it failed to copy a file or something. Anyways, I copied the whole cd to my usb drive, and instead of using menu.c32,( this wouldn't work for me either, I think this may be because I was already using vesamenu.c32 to load the options for the other tools on my usb) I used vesamenu.c32. Accordingly, I had to change all references to menu.c32 to vesamenu.c32. I made some other small changes as per my personal preferences bu, other than those, this is how I got it to work on my usb.

Thanks,

Stephen

as702

#2 Post by as702 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:02 am

What's the difference between the two (vesamenu.c32 and menu.c32)? Presumably the output display?

Icecube

#3 Post by Icecube » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:16 am

vesamenu.c32 can dislplay a picture in the background (see the Parted Magic part of UBCD50).
menu.c32 can't display a picture.
Stericson wrote:Anyways, I copied the whole cd to my usb drive, and instead of using menu.c32,( this wouldn't work for me either, I think this may be because I was already using vesamenu.c32 to load the options for the other tools on my usb) I used vesamenu.c32.
It should work wit menu.c32 also. Do you have the last version of all the syslinux files (syslinux, menu.c32, menuvesa.c32 memdisk,...)?
See my post for the problem which existed it one of the first betas of ubcd and wich is solved now.
viewtopic.php?t=1398&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Stericson

#4 Post by Stericson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 am

Yes, you are correct. Vesamenu.c32 is for a graphical interface and menu.c32 is for a text based interface. As far as I understand, they both do the same thing, but menu.c32 is more compatible on older machines that may not support the use of a graphical interface.

Stephen

Stericson

#5 Post by Stericson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:39 am

I believe that everything is up to date. Whenever, I tried to use menu.c32 it took me to a menu allowing me the option to choose my encrypted windows installation. I may go and uumake sure syslinux is up to date later on today and I will post back. I would like to figure out why menu.c32 didnt work.

Stephen

Icecube

#6 Post by Icecube » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Add an entry in your syslinux.cfg:

Code: Select all

LABEL ubcd
MENU LABEL UBCD 5
CONFIG /ubcd/menus/main.cfg
See that on the first line of main.cfg is "DEFAULT menu.c32". Now it should work for sure.

Stericson

#7 Post by Stericson » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Ok, I will try this and see if it works. However, could the file ldlinux.sys affect this? The ldlinux.sys file I have was created from the installation of pclinuxos minime onto my usb.

Thanks for the reply,

Stephen

Icecube

#8 Post by Icecube » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:31 pm

Delete the ldlinux.sys file and install syslinux again, if you want to be sure. Normally you can see which version of syslinux is installed when you boot from your usb thumb drive.

Stericson

#9 Post by Stericson » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Ok, I will try that if your first suggestion fails. I will have to do this later though. Right now I am working on a paper for my college class. Whenever I get some free time I will try your option and reply back.

Thanks again,

Stephen