- The link to UBCD5 beta 5 is gone. (It is listed on the download page however.)
- You can mention that a beta version of UBCD5 is available.
Question: How do I create the Ultimate Boot CD from the ISO image file?
- Add the link for Free and non-free burning programs for burning UBCD.
Question: I inserted Ultimate Boot CD into my CDROM drive and rebooted the computer. The reboot was as usual and no text-based menu was displayed. Have I done anything wrong?
- In newer BIOSes you can press F8 (maybe also another key, not completely sure) at boot time to select from which hard drive / cdrom drive you want to boot ,without altering the boot order in the BIOS menu itself (a sort of 'boot once' option).
Add also some information for booting from USB (USB-HDD, ...).
Question: I have created the Ultimate Boot CD v.1.4 as per your instructions. When I run it, the selection screen appears as expected but I have no way of selecting the options. Neither my keyboard nor my mouse are operative on the screen. Can you advise me?
- Change the version number.
For UBCD411, an update of isolinux/syslinux can help when you have an USB keyboard that doesn't work, but this won't be relevant for UBCD5 probably.
Question: My computer does not have the option of booting from CD in the BIOS. How can I use the Ultimate Boot CD?
- Add PLoP Bootmanager. I mentioned it already to include it in the next release.
It has very interesting features:
See: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html* CDROM boot without BIOS support
* USB boot without BIOS support (UHCI, OHCI and EHCI)
* Floppy boot
* Different profiles for operating systems
* Define up to 16 partitions
* No extra partition for the boot manager
* Hidden boot, maybe you have a rescue system installed and the user should not see that there is another system installed
* Boot countdown
* Hide partitions
* Password protection for the computer and the boot manager setup
* Backup of partition table data
* Textmode user interface 80x50
* Graphic user interface 640x480, 800x600, 1024x786, 1280x1024
* Start of the boot manager from harddisk, floppy, USB, CDROM and network
* MBR partition table edit
* The boot manager is freeware
- So maybe you have to add the following question too:
Question: My computer does not have the option of booting from USB in the BIOS. How can I use the Ultimate Boot CD?
- Use PLoP.
Question: I have a new Opteron system and it seems to have problems with your Ultimate Boot CD. I can boot the Windows XP setup CD, and the UBCD CD I made boots in a Pentium box, but it won't boot in my new Opteron box. Is there any way to debug what is going wrong?
- Some PCs have a very buggy BIOS, which won't work correctly with isolinux. some BIOSes have only buggy USB support so that booting UBCD with syslinux from an USB thumb drive won't work, while UBCD from a CDROM works.
Isolinux and syslinux have a lot of workarounds for buggy BIOSes (look at the source code ==> /core/isolinux.asm), so most PCs are able to boot isolinux based CDROMs now.
Question: Would it be possible to create a password or login script before the main menu appears? This would add a bit of security to the Ultimate Boot CD.
- I think the info for cdshell doesn't matter at this moment.
For isolinux you can use the following in the config files (must be used in a config file that is loaded by menu.c32 or vesamenu.c32).MENU PASSWD passwd
(Only valid after a LABEL statement.)
Sets a password on this menu entry. "passwd" can be either a
cleartext password, a SHA-1 encrypted password (starting with
$4$), or and MD5 encrypted password (starting with $1$).
Use the included Perl scripts "sha1pass" or "md5pass" to
encrypt passwords. MD5 passwords are compatible with most
Unix password file utilities; SHA-1 passwords are probably
unique to SYSLINUX. Obviously, if you don't encrypt your
passwords they will not be very secure at all.
If you are using passwords, you want to make sure you also use
the settings "NOESCAPE 1", "PROMPT 0", and either set
"ALLOWOPTIONS 0" or use a master password (see below.)
If passwd is an empty string, this menu entry can only be
unlocked with the master password.
MENU MASTER PASSWD passwd
Sets a master password. This password can be used to boot any
menu entry, and is required for the [Tab] and [Esc] keys to
Question: How do I edit files with the .igz extension? How do I create my own .igz files?
- Add a way to do this in windows. You can use 7zip to make and unpack the .img.gz files.
Also check if the other entries are relevant for UBCD5.
- The tutorial section is completely outdated. Update and add topics to the relevant forum posts.
Add my link to the very large list of CD burning applications.
- UBCD411 isn't even listed.
- Probably there are bugs in UBCD411 too (not sure).
These are items that I hope some kind folks can contribute to:
* Tutorials for how to perform system rescue/recovery using any of the tools/utilities on the UBCD.
* Update Mersenne Prime Test boot disk to allow user to manually override the decision (based on automatic CPU detection) to run V23/V24.
* Update StressCPU to V2.0.
- I have done number 2 and 3 (and number 1 ).
- Add 2 more folks. You know who, I guess.
- Add the long list with CD burning tools: http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm.
Add ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver (usefull if you want to make a large hard disk image of the freedos image when you want to boot UBCD from PXE): http://ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1410