Anyone know how to add SpinRite to UBCD?

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

IsLNdbOi

#1 Post by IsLNdbOi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:56 pm

When I run SpinRite in Windows, it gives me an option to create an image file that I can burn on CD or put on a floppy.

I created the *.img file and extracted the contents. In the *.img file are these files:

spinrite.exe
config.sys
kernel.sys
srsplash.sys

The spinrite.exe file in the image file is the exact same one I ran in Windows that let me create the image file in the first place.

I opened config.sys w/ notepad and this is what's in it:

DEVICE=SRSPLASH.SYS
SHELL=SPINRITE.EXE

When I opened kernel.sys and srsplash.sys w/ notepad, both had a bunch of unreadable stuff. Also, the official SpinRite website says:

"SpinRite is self-contained, including its own bootable FreeDOS operating system."

Anyone know how to add SpinRite to UBCD and can post a step-by-step on how to do it?

Thanks.

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 am

Take the *.img file that you created (suppose you named it spinrate.img)
Place it in /ubcd/custom/.
Edit /ubcd/custom/custom.cfg with Notepad and add:

Code: Select all

LABEL spinrite
MENU LABEL SpinRite
LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
INITRD /ubcd/custom/spinrite.img
APPEND raw
You also can gzip the image with 7-zip (spinrite.img.gz). When you use a gzipped image, it will boot a little faster because less reading operations need to be done. If you use the gzipped image, use:

LABEL spinrite
MENU LABEL SpinRite
INITRD /ubcd/custom/spinrite.img.gz
APPEND raw
Last edited by Icecube on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

IsLNdbOi

#3 Post by IsLNdbOi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Icecube wrote:Take the *.img file that you created (suppose you named it spinrate.img)
Place it in /ubcd/custom/.
Edit /ubcd/custom/custom.cfg with Notepad and add:

LABEL spinrite
MENU LABEL SpinRite
INITRD /ubcd/custom/spinrite.img
APPEND raw
You also can gzip the image with 7-zip (spinrite.img.gz). When you use a gzipped image, it will boot a little faster because less reading operations need to be done. If you use the gzipped image, use:

LABEL spinrite
MENU LABEL SpinRite
INITRD /ubcd/custom/spinrite.img.gz
APPEND raw
The stuff I have to add to custom.cfg has to be added at the very bottom of the file below all the other text?

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:20 am

You can replace this text or add it below this text:

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Your own boot image here
TEXT HELP
 Your help message goes here.
ENDTEXT
INITRD /ubcd/custom/boot.img
APPEND -

grimes

#5 Post by grimes » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:53 pm

you can add spinrite, but it frezze anytime

tested on ubcd 3.**

Floppy only or CD-Image Spinrite do not frezze why?

Spinrite runs very very low dirves running PIO-Mode 4 not DMA Mode :evil:

mhdd :wink: is better and free

slurryjazz

SPELLING

#6 Post by slurryjazz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:58 am

please correct SPELLING ! :evil: :D
SpinRite NOT SpinRate

Icecube

#7 Post by Icecube » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 am

@ slurryjazz
Fixed.

seier

Re: Anyone know how to add SpinRite to UBCD?

#8 Post by seier » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:02 pm

For the record, SpinRite worked just fine on my flash drive following these instructions. SpinRite is an ancient program that only runs correctly on old (think Pentium 4) systems with 2TB or smaller drives. Steve Gibson is supposed to be updating it, but keeps getting distracted with side projects (Vitamin D, Healthy Sleep, Ketosis [which I don't think he understood the long term damage this causes nor that humans are anatomically frugivores which even most vegetarians seems to be oblivious of], SQRL Logins, DNS Benchmark, Never10, etc..). If and when he does a compatibility and performance update it will be free for current owners. Compatibility will even include support booting it off of Macs and other UEFI only systems. The most common problem I have with SpinRite is bad USB keyboard support. I can press the same key 7 times and maybe it works once, maybe it works thrice, roll the dice and find out. I have far better luck on systems with a genuine PS/2 keyboard in to a PS/2 port (not a USB to PS/2 adapter). I can't wait for an update, in the mean time I've got a dedicated Dell P4 for SpinRite usage. What is supposed to make SpinRite better than other tools is that it listens to the SMART data, and if a particular area of the drive is using Error correcting code a whole bunch then it's presumed bad. SpinRite will then read and re-read that spot about 20 times, It takes the average of those 20 reads and reallocates that averaged data to a known good spare sector. According to Steve Gibson, the use of SMART feedback to focus in on problems and all but ignore good areas (only has to read those once) of the drive is what separates it from the rest. You can also save/resume running the tool on a given drive/partition between power cycles which is handy as well (this can be done by saving to a floppy if you booted off of one, otherwise you just make note of the drive/partition it was currently on and record the X.XXXX% complete position and enter that in next time). It is slow as molasses and that does suck, but over all I think it's an extremely worthwhile tool written by a genius. All that being said I can unequivocally recommend his free Security Now! podcast which I've listened to for the last decade.

Thanks,
Christian Blackburn
Fast and Friendly Computer Repair
Cell: 916-978-1Fix (1349), Fax:266-0821