Bootable USB Flash Drive Questions

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

smbenson

Bootable USB Flash Drive Questions

#1 Post by smbenson » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:51 am

I have tried 3 different methods to create the UBCD to usb - UBCDfix2.exe as described on several sites, ubcd2usb, and creating a multiboot usb with Kaspersky, BitDefender, and copying UBCD to the drive and modifying the syslinux.cfg to acceess UBCD menu system.

On all three methods, the drive boots and when I try to access the menu system for UBCD it gives me a black screen. When I hit space/enter it prompts me for a password. After any entry it black screens and hangs. There are no visible error messages.

UBCD5 on CD works fine.

Kaspersky and Bitdefender work fine for boot and operation. CD's work great for some situations, but when it comes to spyware/viruses it is nice to be able to update realtime without recreating cds. Any help would be appreciated.

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:31 pm

If you are using UBCD50b9, this is probably caused by bugs in the menu system.
See: viewtopic.php?p=6418#6418

kayanat

#3 Post by kayanat » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:10 pm

How long can a USB Flash drive sustain running an operating system?
I recently installed Linux Mint on a USB drive. Its mostly for personal use (browsing, messaging, music). Assuming I boot off my USB drive everyday and spend 4 hours a day on it, how long wil the flash USB drive become unreadable?

StopSpazzing

#4 Post by StopSpazzing » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:50 pm

kayanat wrote:How long can a USB Flash drive sustain running an operating system?
I recently installed Linux Mint on a USB drive. Its mostly for personal use (browsing, messaging, music). Assuming I boot off my USB drive everyday and spend 4 hours a day on it, how long wil the flash USB drive become unreadable?
It varies. Most provide 100,000 r/w's. There is a lot of information out there on how to minimize r/w's...like livecd type of thing, but only writes back certain folders if you choose to save session...I would look into it and google Linux Mint on USB (or ubuntu because it is based off of it). There is tons of info on it...you just need to look.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

naebeth

#5 Post by naebeth » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:11 pm

I know its been a while since anything was said on this thread, but could you please posts your code for booting BitDefender? I'm currently trying to add it to UBCD and no matter what I try it can't find the KNOPPIX filesystem and so cannot mount the root filesystem, then drops to a limited shell! This happens whether its ISO or extracted, and I've been the the KNOPPIX Wiki to look at all the kernel boot parameters - I just can't figure out why :cry:

Any help would be appreciated!