Using UBCD to diagnose and fix windows

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

pjfromny

Using UBCD to diagnose and fix windows

#1 Post by pjfromny » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:15 am

I am having problems with windows (XP Pro). It started with a dll file reported corrupt; it was aparently missing.

Several software packages would not run: maxtor onetouch backup and Speed up My PC. They would "encounter an error and need to close."

I tried installing and reinstalling without success.

Ran windiag with no errors. UBCD was recommended.

Ran the HD test from UBCD with no bad segments.

What tests should I run? How do I use it to diagnose and fix windows?

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Did you replaced the corrupted file with a good one already?

pjfromny

#3 Post by pjfromny » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:52 pm

yes,

I used msconfig and the expand option to replace the file "appmgmts.dll," but that has not improved my situation.

There are two programs (so far) that result in: "xxx has encountered an error and needs to close." I have tried uninstalled and reinstalling for four days, but no progress. The two are my maxtor onetouch backup, and Speed Up my PC.

I set up the UBCD, ran a few tests, found no errors. Not sure what to do next.

Thanks for any help.

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:13 pm

Do a system restore to a previous time. Backup your documents first on an external hard disk or a CD-R(W) to be sure. Disconnect the external hard drive when you do the system restore (don't know if this is needed, but you can better be sure).

pjfromny

#5 Post by pjfromny » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:05 am

Whatever happened (last Wednesday night, actually) wiped out all the restore points. There are none that precede the problem.

StopSpazzing

#6 Post by StopSpazzing » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:24 pm

pjfromny wrote:Whatever happened (last Wednesday night, actually) wiped out all the restore points. There are none that precede the problem.
2 options you have.

1. I found this and it seems to be related:
Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328213/en-us . Its the only KB article that i can find that relates specifically to the "module not found error."

I suspect that if you look in your Event Log, you will see:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7023
Description: The Application Management Service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.
From MS website of why it pertains to your problem:
The Application Management service is not supported in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, and the Appmgmt.dll file is not included with Windows XP Home Edition. However, the registry setting that disables this service is not configured correctly in Windows XP Home Edition. Therefore, the Add Program routine tries to find the Appmgmt.dll file. When the Add Program routine cannot find the Appmgmt.dll file, the entry appears in the system log.
See if that helps. They are different names I see that but doesnt hurt to try. If that doesnt work after a reboot...

2. Use your windows install disc to do a windows repair. You boot from the disc and go through it till it asks you if you want to repair windows or install windows (its before the format option). Dont remember the key you press.. (think its "r") so pay attention to whats on the screen. It shouldnt delete any info just fix problems with windows itself but again this is micro$oft we are talking about so backup all your important data before-hand.[/b]
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.