Rinstall Repair in place

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

jcklee1083

Rinstall Repair in place

#1 Post by jcklee1083 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Does anyone know how to do an in place install of XP over an old install without effecting the Program files directorY?

I know its posisble if i slip stream an XP disk with my HD SATA controllers and SP3.

long story short I went to a University that had a laptop program, at the end of your senior year your able to buyout the laptop with all site license programs installed on it (IE. Office 2007).

I am getting a BSOD Windows logon process system process has been stopped...

I removed some things with Avast, Spybot, and Rootkitty still has not corrected the issue.

I am trying to refresh xp while still keeping all my program files in tact because I do not have 2 Grand to get all the legit site licensed programs back. I Called the university and due to the buyout and site licensing they cannot reimage the machine.

Any ideas or thoughts on how to do this with UBCD?

PerfectSine

xp and office

#2 Post by PerfectSine » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:58 am

Is office the only program you are worried about? There is a currently a summer deal going on for Office 2007 for students with a *.edu email address. (as long as you still have access to this email account you can get it) http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx.

As far as fixing your XP install you can pop your XP disc in and attempt a repair. I have never tried to install an OS ontop of the current one, if it ever got to that point for me I just reinstall everything, which it sounds like it is time for you to do.

You can always boot to a live linux OS (ubuntu, fedora), mount your harddrive and recover information that is on it.

StopSpazzing

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 pm

It sounds like corrupt registry or file...

I would HIGHLY recommend backing up the registry, all of it,...and saving it to a flash drive just in case.

If you can boot into safe mode, which is how i presume you scanned with those scanners,...goto>control panel>administration tools>event viewer and check the logs under system and post any errors it has since the last time it gave you an error. Would also run a chkdsk on the hard driev my opening my computer>right clicking the "C:" drive and selecting properties, then tools tab at the top and finally selection error-checking. It will not let you do it while you are in the system so will require you to do a reboot.

Btw, have you tried doing a system restore? Check the disk for errors first then proceed to doing a system restore from before there was an issue. Just make srue your system is free from spyware/virus before doing so as they tend to add themselves to the system restore files so you could easily bring one back from the dead.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.