Several questions one post

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

tigger

Several questions one post

#1 Post by tigger » Tue May 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Ok, I have the ubcd iso extracted to my c drive and I have made my Thumb (USB) drive a bootable drive thanks to HP's little boot disk utility :D. Now what??
:?
I have tired to put the information from the extracted iso directly onto the usb drive as it sits but I can't seem to access it. at least not the way i pictured it. I can access some of it using dos commands but no menus and none of the img files either. So how do i transfer the files to my drive so I can use them? :?

Also, I am not sure this is even going to help me. I have a constant streem of people comming to me that have locked themselves out of their computers either via bios passwords or win passwords. Or have purchased the computer and it was locked when they got it. That is mostly what i need the cd for. Will this help with any of that?

Also I have run into a problem with dell computers with a harddrive password on it. It does not matter if you put the darn thing into another computer or what that darn harddrive is locked up tight. Is there a workaround for a bios password lock on a harddrive for a dell computer? :?

And then finaly. Does anyone know of a good turtorial on building your own dos shell for someone with intermediate programming knowledge? And if so could you possably provide an address or link to a site. Oh and probably would help if i had a good dos texteditor as well.

Thanks for all your help in advance folks.. :D

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Tue May 19, 2009 1:19 pm

Extract the iso to c:\ubcd-extracted\
Open the command prompt (cmd.exe).

Code: Select all

cd c:\ubcd-extracted\tools\ubcd2usb\
ubcd2usb
ubcd2usb will display which additional parameters you need to provide (drive to install USB to and path the the extracted ubcd iso) (I don't have a copy of UBCD for the moment).

Or just installing Syslinux to the stick should work too (google for it):

Code: Select all

syslinux -ma -d /syslinux X:
Replace X: with the correct drive letter of your USB stick.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/