Will the Ultimate Boot Disc fix the black screen of death?

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

bean0105

Will the Ultimate Boot Disc fix the black screen of death?

#1 Post by bean0105 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:22 pm

I have been trying to get my computer back up and running since last week with no luck! I keep getting a black screen with a white cursor everytime I load up Windows Vista. I was wondering if anyone knew if its fixable with UBC? I'm new to this so I need some help on what commands to use etc.. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I should also add when I try booting my hard drive from ubc it says "cannot read master boot record"

StopSpazzing

Re: Will the Ultimate Boot Disc fix the black screen of deat

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:37 pm

bean0105 wrote:I have been trying to get my computer back up and running since last week with no luck! I keep getting a black screen with a white cursor everytime I load up Windows Vista. I was wondering if anyone knew if its fixable with UBC? I'm new to this so I need some help on what commands to use etc.. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I should also add when I try booting my hard drive from ubc it says "cannot read master boot record"
You need to use the Vista Install dvd to fix that HD error.

Instructions:

Code: Select all

Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE)
For all versions of Vista

You can use the Bootrec.exetool in the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) to troubleshoot and repair the following items in Windows Vista:

A master boot record (MBR) 

A boot sector 

A Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store 

Note When you are troubleshooting startup issues by using the Windows RE, you should first try the Startup Repair option in the System Recovery Options dialog box. If the Startup Repair option does not resolve the issue, or if you must troubleshoot more steps manually, use the Bootrec.exe tool.

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put your Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when you are prompted. 

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type "Bootrec.exe" (without the quotes) and then press ENTER. 

Note: To start the computer from your Windows Vista DVD, your computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive

Bootrec.exe options

The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

/FixMbr

The /FixMbr option writes a Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.

/FixBoot

The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true.

The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista boot sector. 

The boot sector is damaged. 

An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe). 

/ScanOs

The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.

/RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

Note: If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup 

c: 

cd boot 

attrib bcd -s -h -r 

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old 

bootrec /RebuildBcd

Note: If you are running a RAID array, if this does not help and you are recieving errors. Check in your BIOS and make sure the BIOS did not convert back to IDE. Vista needs to see the compleate MBR, In a RAID setup the MBR is split between two drives. 
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.