bios problem,computer won't boot up

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

chrisssteeven

bios problem,computer won't boot up

#1 Post by chrisssteeven » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi,
When I switch the computer on, if I am lucky, it will tell me the processor speed amount of ram, etc. (sometimes the screen just turns blank before this stage.) Then it displays an error explaining there is a drive A:\ problem; however the computer in question is a server without a floppy drive. If I leave the computer to boot up, the screen just turns blank and won’t actually boot up. I have discovered that the bios must be resetting itself because the bios settings are default every time I access them.I have never had this problem before. What’s going on here? And how can it be fixed?

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Maybe, the battery that provides the current for remembering the CMOS settings (and the clock) when the PC is turned off, is empty.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

StopSpazzing

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:58 pm

Icecube wrote:Maybe, the battery that provides the current for remembering the CMOS settings (and the clock) when the PC is turned off, is empty.
While the cmos battery does save the bios settings, it is not required for the computer to boot properly in which is the case. And you can easily test the cmos battery by touching it to your tongue [the two metal contacts not just a random part of the battery] (fyi make sure you wipe it off before doing so...who knows what's been sucked into your computer and landed on the battery since it has been installed).

Sounds like a power supply issue or the motherboard is gone. If you happen to have an extra power suppy laying around try swapping it with the known working one and see if you can get into bios without any issues. If you can then its the PSU, if most likely is the motherboard.

Could also try vacuuming the whole motherboard off as a last resort, to clean it of any dust that could have helped form a short, and then removing the cmos battery and unplugging the PSU from the motherboard and letting the motherboard capacitors drain off all their juice (around 2-8 hours, overnight is always best). And then reinstalling the cmos battery and then reconnecting the PSU and try booting the machine again.

Good Luck!
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

sagarbunkar

re:

#4 Post by sagarbunkar » Tue May 11, 2010 4:51 am

Hi,

My Toshiba satellite A60-122 laptop is locked with bios password. How can I remove the password?

I tried the parallel and USB security key to unlock this laptop. But nothing happened.

Please give me a solution for this.

This is very urgent for me.

Thanks

StopSpazzing

Re: re:

#5 Post by StopSpazzing » Sat May 15, 2010 3:25 pm

sagarbunkar wrote:Hi,

My Toshiba satellite A60-122 laptop is locked with bios password. How can I remove the password?

I tried the parallel and USB security key to unlock this laptop. But nothing happened.

Please give me a solution for this.

This is very urgent for me.

Thanks
Please dont topic hijack. It's not very polite and your issue pertains to a different problem. Post in a new topic if you want help if a different issue than what was posted.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.