It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Black Screen on Windows log in
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:26 am 

Hello and help!

I somehow killed my friends computer. His computer runs XP. On starting his computer his computer will go through the welcome screen of window XP and then proceed to a black screen. He says that he can't even use his mouse.

We tried running his computer in "safe mode". Again windows got past the welcome screen and then went to a black screen instead of the desktop.

I really need help fixing his computer! He's convinced it's "dead". Is there a system restore on the UBCD that will help this problem? Also, I heard you had to change the BIOS settings to boot from CD, what is BIOS? :shock:

Please help!

Post subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows log in
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:10 pm 

Owlett5 wrote:
Hello and help!

I somehow killed my friends computer. His computer runs XP. On starting his computer his computer will go through the welcome screen of window XP and then proceed to a black screen. He says that he can't even use his mouse.

We tried running his computer in "safe mode". Again windows got past the welcome screen and then went to a black screen instead of the desktop.

I really need help fixing his computer! He's convinced it's "dead". Is there a system restore on the UBCD that will help this problem? Also, I heard you had to change the BIOS settings to boot from CD, what is BIOS? :shock:

Please help!

Try pressing f8 on boot to get to the "safe-mode" options....and selecting the option on the lines of "load last configuration that worked" and see if that lets you get back into windows. Sounds like a drivers issue really...

If you still have issues, then next bet would to do a windows repair.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... oug92.mspx

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.