BSOD ~ cannot boot even safe mode ~ win32k.sys error ~ Vista

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

wondering1

BSOD ~ cannot boot even safe mode ~ win32k.sys error ~ Vista

#1 Post by wondering1 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:32 am

This computer was on during a storm which may have surged the computer. The monitor died.

I ran diagnostics on the RAM and found a problem. I've put the original RAM back into the system and memory tests (run from bootable CD) are working fine.

I was able to backup the system with a bootable Macrium disk. Macrium recommended chkdsk which I ran multiple times until no errors are reported. Macrium repair start up problems has been run but still cannot boot.

Windows gives BSOD even in Safe Mode.

I disabled the on-board graphics and installed a PCI/e graphics card.

I ran drive diagnostics and no errors are found.

The same problem continues:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x93902738, 0x889c5898, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys - Address 98902738 base at 93800000, Datastamp 4c1f6af2

I tried starting in debugging mode but the screen went blank and system appeared to be locked up.

Should I continue with hardware diagnostics or start looking for a software resolution?

The recovery system will not boot because of a winload.exe is missing or corrupt error. Unfortunately, Macrium repair startup problems has not resolved the issue.

I've flashed the BIOS successfully and set the BIOS to defaults (except for disabling the onboard graphics).

Ideas appreciated - I have time to work on this and am not ready to give up yet.

:)

wondering1

Re: BSOD ~ cannot boot even safe mode ~ win32k.sys error ~ V

#2 Post by wondering1 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:25 pm

To help get the recovery partition working, I copied winload.exe from the main partition. Next error was missing hal.dll, I copied that one from the main partition.

Recovery partition has now advanced to ntoskrnl.exe corrupt. Unfortunately, this file is corrupt on the main partition that I'd like to boot, also.

I'm hoping this means that software is corrupt and no additional hardware issues.

Thanks for any help!

StopSpazzing

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Check your drive for errors first. Copying all the files you need to get windows vista working wont help you if they get corrupted again.

http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565

Then after running check disk... If you already ran them from the windows vista install disc proceed to next step.

NOTE:Windows is copyrighted therefore no 3rd party will have access to copies of system files, including Macrium. Therefore it will not repair your windows installation unless you have a windows installation disc.

Reboot and do the same procedure but instead of command prompt select startup repair. Should fix all the issues and allow you to reboot the system.

If you do not have a installation disc and you have an OEM (bought at local computer store (Brands such as HP, Sony, Gateway, Dell , etc)) You may be able to request a installation disc at no charge. Call tech support and ask them for the disc.

P.S. Surge Protectors cost as little as $15 and will save everyone the hassle of going thought this issue. Be sure to replace them every 2 years or if you have had several blackouts/brownouts as they loose the protective qualities as they age and protect against surges.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

wondering1

#4 Post by wondering1 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:42 am

I purchased Macrium for this computer and it comes with a bootable Windows PE CD. I've run chkdsk from the bootable Macrium disk until it reports no errors. Both the recovery partition and the main partition are free of errors according to chkdsk.

Currently, checking for a virus that may be affecting ntoskrnl.exe.

Yes, we may have to wait for the recovery disks to come in the mail. All new surge protectors already in place.

westom

#5 Post by westom » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:38 pm

wondering1 wrote: Currently, checking for a virus that may be affecting ntoskrnl.exe.
Do it only because it is easy to do. But that is way down the list of suspects. Unlikely. A bad disk drive is even less possible.

Learn what the BSOD said. Something in the OS tried to execute code in memory it was not permitted to read. So, a top suspect - bad memory location. Sometimes it only fails with a particular data pattern and unique data in adjacent memory cells. Bad memory sometimes works perfectly in a 70 degree room - does not fail until operated in another ideal temperature - 100 degrees F. That is how you use a memory diagnostic to find defective memory.

A bad peripheral driver. Often these are not corrupted. They can respond defectively to something that should not have occurred in its hardware - the peripheral. Its programmer did not know such a failure could happen. And so his driver software went berserk.

Or the driver is defective.

If Windows code (ie Kernel) was bad, then Windows detected it and corrected it. And announced the failure in the system (event) log - which is reviewed before fixing anything.

If that same failure happened in an application program, Windows detects the failure and cuts off that program - no crash. To have BSOD, a list of suspects is short. Includes sound card, video controller, memory, the many components of a power supply system, and only a few parts of the motherboard. Definitely not on the list is hard drive, keyboard, heat, etc.

Fix this by first executing the computer manufacturer’s comprehensive hardware diagnostics. Only better computers give you their diagnostics for free. If you have a lesser machine, well, all manufacturers have such diagnostics. Some could not be bothered to spend a dime to give them to you on a CD. So you must resort to component manufacturer or third party hardware diagnostics.

Long before fixing software, first establish hardware integrity. That means diagnostics and other facts. Your error message said where the failure happened. Any suggestion that ignores that fact will be time wasted. Any solution that recommends replacing good parts (shotgunning) can create complications (and frustration). Follow the evidence. The BSOD tells you why your machine crashed. Now discover why that software tried to access memory it was not permitted to access.

StopSpazzing

#6 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:55 pm

westom wrote:... Definitely not on the list is hard drive, keyboard, heat, etc.

If the hard drive was corrupt, and the bad sector wasn't marked/fixed and it deleted a driver that is required for windows to boot could cause a BSOD. If he attempted to reinstall on a Bad drive and it used that sector(s) again for another driver/important system file could cause a BSOD aswell. It's unlikely at this point that is the case, but it's could happen.

In any case, remove anything that isn't needed to boot the system, try swapping out PSU, and anything else you can swap then try again. You may want to try different memory slots for your ram or only try 1 stick in a seperate slot than the main.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.