Boot Problem (isapna.sys issue)

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

jcalderone

Boot Problem (isapna.sys issue)

#1 Post by jcalderone » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:17 pm

So recently my computer won't start. It just goes to a black screen and nothing more. When I boot it in safemode, it gets stuck at isapna.sys. Upon googling it, I find this:
It is not problem with isapnp.sys. It's problem with pciide.sys which is loaded after isapnp.sys
Step :
Start Recovery console (boot with XP setup CD).
go to c:\windows\system32\drivers
type "expand d:\i386\isapnp.sy_" for expanding isapnp.sys
after that type "expand d:\i386\pciide.sy_"
Those commands expand from setup XP CD files isapnp.sys and pciide.sys into c:\windows\system32\drivers folder.
Just to explain : if boot sequence stop at one file *.sys, it doesn't mean there is problem with THAT file. It could be problem with driver which follow last shown driver.
If found at one forume one more step : While using recovery console, go to c:\windows\system32\drivers folder and start "dir" command. Check, if there any *.sys file with 0 length. Just delete it.
Is this possible with UBCD? And if so, how do I do it? It'd be greatly appreciated if someone could type a little tutorial!! (I know my hopes are high for my first post haha.)

Thanks! :)

StopSpazzing

Re: Boot Problem (isapna.sys issue)

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:50 am

jcalderone wrote:So recently my computer won't start. It just goes to a black screen and nothing more. When I boot it in safemode, it gets stuck at isapna.sys. Upon googling it, I find this:
It is not problem with isapnp.sys. It's problem with pciide.sys which is loaded after isapnp.sys
Step :
Start Recovery console (boot with XP setup CD).
go to c:\windows\system32\drivers
type "expand d:\i386\isapnp.sy_" for expanding isapnp.sys
after that type "expand d:\i386\pciide.sy_"
Those commands expand from setup XP CD files isapnp.sys and pciide.sys into c:\windows\system32\drivers folder.
Just to explain : if boot sequence stop at one file *.sys, it doesn't mean there is problem with THAT file. It could be problem with driver which follow last shown driver.
If found at one forume one more step : While using recovery console, go to c:\windows\system32\drivers folder and start "dir" command. Check, if there any *.sys file with 0 length. Just delete it.
Is this possible with UBCD? And if so, how do I do it? It'd be greatly appreciated if someone could type a little tutorial!! (I know my hopes are high for my first post haha.)

Thanks! :)
No, as there is no copyrighted material, in this case Microsoft's system files, contained on the UBCD ISO. You will have to a windows XP CD for that, otherwise you can't repair the windows installation. Have you tried "last known configuration that worked"? If neither safe mode or the previous mention options don't work, you will need to repair the installation. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... oug92.mspx
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.