Trying to reformat & re-partition drive

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

edanto

Trying to reformat & re-partition drive

#1 Post by edanto » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:39 pm

I made a mess of my Dad's netbook, and I'm trying to fix it up. I was using gparted to adjust the size of the partition and I think I accidentally typed in a number 9 instead of a 0.... honeslty I'm not sure what I might have done, but the machine is now stuck in a constant rebooting loop.

I have the re-install disks for XP Home, and I'll have an external CD drive tomorrow.

I have the UBCD ready to boot off a USB drive - but what tools should I use to repair any damage I've done to the drive? Is there anything I can do to diagnose with UBCD and discover why it's in this rebooting loop?

thanks

flyingsilverfin

Re: Trying to reformat & re-partition drive

#2 Post by flyingsilverfin » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:06 pm

well if you aren't afraid to lose data you can always just reformat the partition, that should fix it if all u messed up was partitioning

StopSpazzing

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:17 pm

flyingsilverfin wrote:well if you aren't afraid to lose data you can always just reformat the partition, that should fix it if all u messed up was partitioning
This post was placed over 5 months ago. Very unlikely that the original poster is around.

To answer tho, I would just reinstall with the XP discs after backing up the data from the drive with Parted Magic from UBCD disc.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

flyingsilverfin

#4 Post by flyingsilverfin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:43 am

oops didn't see the date :wink: