New to UBCD

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ubcduser

New to UBCD

#1 Post by ubcduser » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:43 pm

After years of hearing about UBCD, I decided to check it out. Previously, I had my own custom flash drive (grub4dos) that booted the iso directly. It was cool. I never could figure out how to create a CD version though. I discovered that UBCD had all the programs that I had on my flash drive, except 2 (Image for Linux and Spinrite). I discovered how to add these programs using the same code I used before. It works great.

The only problems I have had is when I go to Magic Parted. The next time I boot from the usb and went to Magic Parted, it froze during loading. I then recreated the drive. Magic Parted booted perfectly, but on the next boot I got a black screen with blinking cursor at top left...UBCD menu would not load. I recreated the drive again...i am not going to use Magic Parted again. I never really did anything that I could recall, just looked around. I used the ubcd2usb command. I need to remember to stay away from Magic Parted on the usb drive. I also created a DVD+RW version (only had DVD) for emergency and for system that may not support usb boot. I have booted the usb several times and it is working. I can only figure that Magic Parted is modifying the usb in such a way that it doesn't boot anymore. I am not going to use Magic Parted on the usb again. It takes several hours to recreate it.

If I ever think that I need Magic Parted, I will try the CD version. Keep up the excellent work. How often is UBCD updated? I like to check back often for new releases. Thanks.

Icecube

Re: New to UBCD

#2 Post by Icecube » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 am

First of all, it is Parted Magic.

Do you keep the USB drive in your PC during the whole Parted Magic session and only removed it when your PC was shutdown again?
Or did you remove the USB drive before the PC was shutdown?
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

ubcduser

Re: New to UBCD

#3 Post by ubcduser » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:02 am

I left it in the whole time