can´t "load optimized default" in the BIOS settings

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

leon

can´t "load optimized default" in the BIOS settings

#1 Post by leon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:45 am

hi

i have a trouble with my ASUS laptop (AMI BIOS), after i made a recovery on my laptop
i was able to make some changes at all the settings, suddenly all the settings were disabled,
my login statues is now "user" in the BIOS...i wiped the CMOS of the BIOS with the UBCD CD
(by the way "cool tools" - congratulations and thanks to the developer)
but still no "load optimized default" or another setting possible (still BIOS login
as USER)... :roll: :shock:

can someone help me out with this subject, will be really great to get some
helping hand in using the BIOS tool of the UBCD to solve my problem...

additional can i also use the memory test of the UBCD for windows 7 64bit,
which one is the right one.... :?:

thanks in advance!

greetings and a happy & healthy new YEAR

leon

ady

Re: can´t "load optimized default" in the BIOS settings

#2 Post by ady » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:03 am

First of all, What about checking at ASUS website? Or the laptop's manual? Or at the websites of the actual tools you used?

In any case, wherever you search for procedures or help, you need to provide actual info, like what exactly is the problem, what you have already done, and your system's info.
leon wrote:hi

i have a trouble with my ASUS laptop (AMI BIOS), after i made a recovery on my laptop
i was able to make some changes at all the settings, suddenly all the settings were disabled,
What settings are you talking about? I mean, are you talking about BIOS settings? OS settings? Some program settings? :?: If you want to solve some BIOS problem and you are not talking about BIOS settings, then this is not important.

Are you saying you can't change any BIOS settings? Have you been changing them before this problem arised?
my login statues is now "user" in the BIOS...i wiped the CMOS of the BIOS with the UBCD CD
Which specific tool you used to wipe the BIOS settings? Have you checked the website/forum of that specific tool? Have you searched for similar problems and solutions?
but still no "load optimized default" or another setting possible (still BIOS login
as USER)... :roll: :shock:
If there is no way to select the "Admin" or "SETUP" password, and there is some "Admin" or "SETUP" password already saved, then you need either this "SETUP" password, or to discharge the BIOS battery (yes, the BIOS battery, not the "big" laptop's battery).
can someone help me out with this subject, will be really great to get some
helping hand in using the BIOS tool of the UBCD to solve my problem...
Again, which specific tool you used?
additional can i also use the memory test of the UBCD for windows 7 64bit,
which one is the right one.... :?:
The memory tests included in UBCD are independent of your particular OS. Each of those tools has pros and cons.

leon

#3 Post by leon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:31 am

hi ady,

thanks for your fast response

yes - i mean the BIOS Settings

i could change (before this problem occured)
the BIOS settings, means f.e. setting the boot order
and so on...

now i can only change the time and date of the
bios...nothing more, everything is disabled...

administrator password is enabled
user password is enabled
but you can not reach anything besides the date and
time in the menu of the bios

i loged in at the bios as "user"

i tried the tools:
WipeCMOS V1.2
boot umbpci (semi defense/silent/optional)
safe CMOS wipe
wipe all CMOS settings

i don´t want to open the laptop,
and take out the cmos battery,
because of the guarentee...

also i thought the CMOS wipe is doing
the same...

will be great to get some help

greetings

leon

ady

#4 Post by ady » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:55 am

leon wrote: yes - i mean the BIOS Settings

i could change (before this problem occured)
the BIOS settings, means f.e. setting the boot order
and so on...

now i can only change the time and date of the
bios...nothing more, everything is disabled...
This means, as I already said, that you have some "SETUP" password.

As a general rule, BIOS's can have 2 passwords, one for normal "user" (less permits) and another for "administrator" or "SETUP" password.

Several possibilities are available:
-both passwords are set, but they are different from each other;
-both passwords are set, and they are equal;
-SETUP password is set, no USER password is set;
-USER password set, no SETUP password is set;
-no password is set in any of both options.

The unavailability to change settings in the BIOS points to some SETUP password, intentionally or not.

You need to erase or insert the SETUP password, somehow. Either you guess the correct SETUP password, or you need to erase it by some jumper or by taking the BIOS battery out for 3 ~ 5 minutes.

If you take out the battery, you will need to replace it, and get into the BIOS at FIRST boot, to reconfigure it correctly, before booting into your OS.
administrator password is enabled
user password is enabled
but you can not reach anything besides the date and
time in the menu of the bios

i loged in at the bios as "user"
You need to type the SETUP password instead of the USER password, and by this method you will get to change any BIOS setting, including the possibility to change both passwords or to erase them from within the BIOS itself.
i tried the tools:
WipeCMOS V1.2
boot umbpci (semi defense/silent/optional)
safe CMOS wipe
wipe all CMOS settings
Have you tried WipeCMOS website?
i don´t want to open the laptop,
and take out the cmos battery,
because of the guarentee...
First, I'm not sure you must open the laptop to replace the battery. But if you must and you know it, then that means that you already have the relevant documents. Have you tried reading / searching them at ASUS website/forum?

BTW, you still haven't provided the relevant info here about the exact model of laptop. If you search for help here, or at ASUS, or at WipeCMOS, or at any store you buy laptops, you need to provide this info.

If you still have guarantee, then try contacting them (whoever gives you guarantee / support).
also i thought the CMOS wipe is doing
the same...
Maybe yes, or maybe other software tool could. I'm not sure. But if you have guarantee, and you have set some SETUP password by mistake, your support should be able to help you.

Taking the BIOS battery shouldn't be some extreme mistery, and the problem should be resolved in less than 10 minutes.

Your support guy (since you have a valid guarantee) should be able to tell you if taking the BIOS battery can compromise the guarantee or not.

Also, in case you take out the BIOS battery out, first you should need to take out the "big" laptop's battery.

Also, it is possible that the BIOS has a "default" SETUP password, which was automatically activated when you tried to erase it using the WipeCMOS tool. Again, the laptop's documentation may be of help, and your support too.

ady

#5 Post by ady » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 pm

I'm thinking that getting to your BIOS battery in your particular laptop - which exact model we don't know - might be dificult for you (but maybe not for others), so you may try also the other BIOS's tools included in UBCD, like CMOSPWD http://www.cgsecurity.org/?cmospwd.html.

Instead of WipeCMOS, select other tool of the list. I suggest trying to read the documentation before actually doing something with the tool.

First write down the specific steps (from the "readme" in that page for example), and only then boot to ubcd.

But again, if your guarantee is still valid, the support guys should be your first option.

leon

#6 Post by leon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 am

Thanks Ady for all your advices.... :wink:

just solved the trouble, the reason for not loading the optimized default in the BIOS
was the dismatch of the password between USER and ADMINSTRATOR.... :shock:
after I fixed this I was able to load the optimized settings....
(in the BIOS help they wrote from AMI that both, USER and ADMINSTRATOR,
have the same rights ...in this case not :roll: )

Anyhow I am using UBCD and it is great tool.... 8)

Greetings and lot´s of thanks
Leon