Disabled HDD please help!!!!!

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

tjontario

Disabled HDD please help!!!!!

#1 Post by tjontario » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 am

Hi everyone. I am new to this software and I am not overly techie. Here's the problem: I was trying to disable the CD ROM and accidentally disabled the HDD. My computer is now in an endless boot cycle. I have a Fujitsu Lifebook E8100. I have tried the Bios. I tried to do a repair from XP Pro CD but it doesn't recognize HDD and I tried to do a full install and it still doesn't recognize HDD. I have been trying to fumble my way through some of the UBCD tools but have not been able to fix the issue. I just need to enable the HDD again.

Please someone helpppppppp!!!!

ady

Re: Disabled HDD please help!!!!!

#2 Post by ady » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:31 am

tjontario wrote:I was trying to disable the CD ROM and accidentally disabled the HDD.
What do you mean with "disable"? Have you disconnected it? Do you mean changing some settings in your BIOS? Do you mean something in your OS?

Can you explain what exactly you did (even if you don't understand it) or what exactly you were trying to do?

StopSpazzing

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:48 am

tjontario wrote:I have been trying to fumble my way through some of the UBCD tools but have not been able to fix the issue.
I would highly recommend against "fumbling" through the UBCD tools, as you could cause even more damage. So before proceeding any farther, please respond to ady's reply.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

tjontario

#4 Post by tjontario » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:49 am

I was in the OS. I was trying to disable the CD ROM and accidently selectedthe HDD. When I try to boot now it is in an endless boot cycle and does not recognize the HDD. It lists it in the Bios but when I try to reinstall windows or repair windows I get a message saying there is no hard drive installed.

ady

#5 Post by ady » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:31 am

tjontario wrote:I was in the OS. I was trying to disable the CD ROM and accidently selectedthe HDD. When I try to boot now it is in an endless boot cycle and does not recognize the HDD. It lists it in the Bios but when I try to reinstall windows or repair windows I get a message saying there is no hard drive installed.
Your "endless boot" expression is not clear. It could mean that it boots and reboots and reboots... with no control whatsoever from you part, or it could mean that it takes too long to boot. If it takes too long, then simply let it boot (it may be searching for the correct HDD driver, if XP can find it).

Have you tried booting into "SAFE MODE"?

You should NOT need to reinstall XP, only to recover/repair. If I could base on your comment about the BIOS correctly recognizing the HDD (brand, model, port, mode, translation and size), then maybe I can GUESS what's going on.

My guess is that your Windows XP is installed on a SATA HDD and that you boot directly into Windows (system partition = boot partition).

If you were using a traditional PATA HDD, then XP can recognize it and install standard default drivers. In that case, XP would take some "extra" time to boot once, and then it should get going as usual.

But XP does NOT contain standard default SATA drivers, so you need to use an XP recover environment to boot, select "F6" to add "special extra drivers" (the SATA drivers from your motherboard's website), so XP can recognize your SATA HDD (and hence, your current XP installation).

If my assumption is correct, then you will need to search for specific methods on how to boot and add this SATA drivers (using Google, or at your motherboard's forum, or some Windows XP forum, or some "boot" forum). For "new" XP installations, there are already many articles on how to do this, but you want to recover/repair an "old" (current) XP installation, so maybe you'll need specific step-by-step instructions.

Of course, I could be wrong in my assumption.