Invalid Opcode

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

belinda

Invalid Opcode

#1 Post by belinda » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:32 pm

Hello

I'm a big fan of the kill disk, I use it every time when fixing my own or others PC.

But I ran in to a problem when trying to kill a friends PC.

It boots ok, but after having chosen the kill disk and it is stating up I get this message:

Invalid Opcode at 0B45 4640 0A96 0BEA 0000 1B80 061C 0BEA 0Be0 9501 4000 0200 00D7.

And the only option was to shutdown the PC.

When that happen I remembered that that has happen before, and proberly with the same PC.

Is it because it is locked from the manufacture or? And if so how do I get around it?

ady

Re: Invalid Opcode

#2 Post by ady » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 am

Are you using the latest stable version of UBCD?

Are you running UBCD from CD/DVD/UFD?

Have you searched for similar problems so to find a solution?

Are you using the Syslinux menu or the Grub4Dos menu?

Have you tried different FDUBCD boot options?

Is this happening with other programs booting with the same FDUBCD options?

Is the same happening with the same program and boot options in other computers?

Please report feedback.

belinda

#3 Post by belinda » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 am

Are you using the latest stable version of UBCD? No 4.1

Are you running UBCD from CD/DVD/UFD? From CD

Have you searched for similar problems so to find a solution? Yes, but I didn't find any.

Are you using the Syslinux menu or the Grub4Dos menu? Good question, I just burned it and boot from it :)

Have you tried different FDUBCD boot options? Don't know what that means :)

Is this happening with other programs booting with the same FDUBCD options? The same as the last one.

Is the same happening with the same program and boot options in other computers? No.

Please report feedback.

ady

#4 Post by ady » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:11 am

belinda wrote:Are you using the latest stable version of UBCD? No 4.1
:shock: Well, :roll: maybe that is the workaround you should be searching for? :?:
:idea: Maybe you would like to try downloading the latest stable? Download it, check its MD5/SHA1 checksums, burn it in 4x or 8x, verify it was correctly burned and check if it is working as it should, or if you still have problems.
Have you searched for similar problems so to find a solution? Yes, but I didn't find any.
There were some reports in the past, but I think most of them were resolved before the current stable version. Still, if you find problems with the latest stable, please report back so to find a solution.
Are you using the Syslinux menu or the Grub4Dos menu? Good question, I just burned it and boot from it :)
The current stable version uses the Syslinux menu as default (the one you see when you "just boot it"), but you can select an alternative menu, the Grub4Dos menu, which in some specific situations could be helpful. It is not "better", just an alternative.
Have you tried different FDUBCD boot options? Don't know what that means :)
I'll be quoting here an old post from Icecube that was related to some Opcodes messages:
Icecube wrote:If memdisk floppy emulation doesn't work for you, can you write down the 'invalid opcode' that you get, and try all boot options of the freedos image with memdisk emulation:

0 Boot Clean
1 Boot UMBPCI (silent)
2 Boot UMBPCI (optimal)
3 Boot UMBPCI (semi-defensive)
4 Boot EMM386 (optimal)
5 Boot EMM386 (semi-defensive)
6 Boot no UMB (defensive)
7 Boot no UMB (ultra-defensive)

And report which 'invalid opcodes' you get, and which entries boot.
Then try the same when using grub4dos floppy emulation.
So that the developers of memdisk can fix this issue.
Also try to run in from CD and USB, report the differences.
Those alternatives are presented when you select some DOS-based tool in UBCD that starts with the UBCD DOS boot menu.

But again, this was posted before the current stable version, so please try the latest stable UBCD first, and don't hesitate in reporting here your feedback (whether the problem is solved by using the latest stable UBCD version or not).

Icecube

#5 Post by Icecube » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:52 am

Adding 'raw' as parameter to MEMDISK, solved the "Invalid Opcode" message:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1845
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

ady

#6 Post by ady » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:25 am

Icecube wrote:Adding 'raw' as parameter to MEMDISK, solved the "Invalid Opcode" message:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1845
Icecube, using version 4.1, which was released in May 2007 (almost 4 years ago by the time I am writing this post), is not a good procedure IMHO. Even memdisk/syslinux was updated many times since then. That's why I would try first using the latest stable UBCD, and if it still doesn't work with any FDUBCD boot mode, only then I would try adding boot parameters (as the suggested "raw" for example).

The post suggested by Icecube has several tips on how to apply "raw", but it also mentions using updated memdisk/syslinux versions.

Let's wait for some feedback from the OP.

belinda

#7 Post by belinda » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks a lot all.

I have solved my problem.

Did it by using newest version of Ultimate boot disk.

Regards

Belinda