It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 15
I got the new ubcd, and for some reason what ever I say run photorec, it will load into parted magic, eject cd, and ill see a the parted magic ui mouse cursor dispaapears then I cant do anything!!! same thing happens if I also try to run parted


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
Look at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html for the valid mirrors.

There are additional (very-well-known repositories) websites where you can find UBCD503 also.

The important thing is to check the md5 checksum of your ISO image download and compare it to the one published at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html.

Only in case the md5 checksums are equal, you can be sure you have successfully downloaded the correct ISO image.

If the MD5 checksums are equal, then you need to check (compare) if the content of the burned CD is equal to the content of the ISO image.

There are several freeware tools to compare a burned CD content with its ISO image, and several burning tools include such a function.

If the content of the CD and the content of the ISO are not equivalent, or if the MD5 checksum of the ISO image is not equal to the one published at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html , then you will need to re-burn it, possibly to a new optical media, or even to re-download the ISO image, depending on what exactly fails your checks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:52 pm
Posts: 1278
Try the vesa menu option in Parted Magic.

_________________
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 15
ady wrote:
Look at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html for the valid mirrors.

There are additional (very-well-known repositories) websites where you can find UBCD503 also.

The important thing is to check the md5 checksum of your ISO image download and compare it to the one published at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html.

Only in case the md5 checksums are equal, you can be sure you have successfully downloaded the correct ISO image.

If the MD5 checksums are equal, then you need to check (compare) if the content of the burned CD is equal to the content of the ISO image.

There are several freeware tools to compare a burned CD content with its ISO image, and several burning tools include such a function.

If the content of the CD and the content of the ISO are not equivalent, or if the MD5 checksum of the ISO image is not equal to the one published at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html , then you will need to re-burn it, possibly to a new optical media, or even to re-download the ISO image, depending on what exactly fails your checks.




Well I tried a few mirrors, including the torrent, and still had issues, as for the check sum I installed the check sum program recommend but I dont understand what file i'm suppoed to check I get a iso file and i cant check that!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
puppetj wrote:
Well I tried a few mirrors, including the torrent, and still had issues,


What exactly do you mean with issues? Do you mean that the download ubcd503.iso fails in some way? Or do you mean the same issues you already posted?

Quote:
as for the check sum I installed the check sum program recommend but I dont understand what file i'm suppoed to check I get a iso file and i cant check that!


At http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html you have the following info:

Code:
Current release: V5.0.3
Download format: ISO image
Size:  301MB
Checksums
[MD5 ] 6cf0f4ff7f11ad2d78058541831c4bcc
[SHA1] 407fe935d942b3d14c85bf12415a37ce46b19c51


So, for ubcd503.iso, those checksums are your reference.

You have downloaded an ISO image file, which size should be 301MB, and its name should be ubcd503.iso.

Take that downloaded ubcd503.iso file and use any checksum program to calculate its checksum values (MD5 and/or SHA1 algorithms).

The checksum program will give you a result about your downloaded ubcd503.iso. Compare that result with the one I quoted in this post (MD5 and/or SHA1 values).

If they are the same (capital letters or not; that doesn't matter), then your downloaded ubcd503.iso is ok.

I'll quote here, from other topic, several possibilities of checksum tools you could use, if the one you installed doesn't work for you.

Quote:
for "eXpress CheckSum", http://www.irnis.net/free.shtml.

Other several alternative programs for checksum and/or hash, some freeware and some not, are listed at http://www.softpedia.com/hubs/Checksum-Verifiers.

Alternatively, you may search using some web search service, like Google http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259,26765&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=%2Bmd5+%2Bsha1+check*+freeware+windows&cp=17&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%2Bmd5+%2Bsha1+check*+freeware+windows&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=7b989c6c17f79c85.

Additionally, one alternative to 7-zip (mentioned in several tutorials about ubcd) is PeaZip, http://www.peazip.org, which has also checksum functions.

My personal choice about checking MD5, SHA1 and other hash codes is Arpoon checksum http://www.arpoon.de/checksum.html.

Now, if the official mirrors to download ubcd503.iso are not working, (or in the future, any future stable versions) you may try waiting and trying afterwards, or some other repositories like (for ubcd503, the following links are current) :

http://majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_UBCD_d4981.html for several servers;

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ultimate-Boot-CD-Download-5992.html for USA server.

Both links include options to ubcd503.iso or for the corresponding torrent.

Those are NOT the only UNofficial repositories; there are many others. In any case, official or unofficial, you should always check both MD5 and SHA1 codes with the ones published at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html.

The Portable Freeware Collection - Files - Checksum Calculators :
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=28

The Portable Freeware Collection - Files - Integrity Checkers :
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=57


Did you try what Icecube suggested in his post?
Report back, and if the checksum values are equivalent, then we'll see how to proceed to find out what the problem is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 15
Yeah the same issues I already had, i never got any failed downloads and the iso is always the 301mb size, as for the check sum the "eXpress CheckSum", program as I said in the previous post doesnt let me open anything but a check sum file that doesnt exist. So I have no idea what your talking about and yes i tried icecube suggestion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 15
ady wrote:
puppetj wrote:
Well I tried a few mirrors, including the torrent, and still had issues,


What exactly do you mean with issues? Do you mean that the download ubcd503.iso fails in some way? Or do you mean the same issues you already posted?

Quote:
as for the check sum I installed the check sum program recommend but I dont understand what file i'm suppoed to check I get a iso file and i cant check that!


At http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html you have the following info:

Code:
Current release: V5.0.3
Download format: ISO image
Size:  301MB
Checksums
[MD5 ] 6cf0f4ff7f11ad2d78058541831c4bcc
[SHA1] 407fe935d942b3d14c85bf12415a37ce46b19c51


So, for ubcd503.iso, those checksums are your reference.

You have downloaded an ISO image file, which size should be 301MB, and its name should be ubcd503.iso.

Take that downloaded ubcd503.iso file and use any checksum program to calculate its checksum values (MD5 and/or SHA1 algorithms).

The checksum program will give you a result about your downloaded ubcd503.iso. Compare that result with the one I quoted in this post (MD5 and/or SHA1 values).

If they are the same (capital letters or not; that doesn't matter), then your downloaded ubcd503.iso is ok.

I'll quote here, from other topic, several possibilities of checksum tools you could use, if the one you installed doesn't work for you.

Quote:
for "eXpress CheckSum", http://www.irnis.net/free.shtml.

Other several alternative programs for checksum and/or hash, some freeware and some not, are listed at http://www.softpedia.com/hubs/Checksum-Verifiers.

Alternatively, you may search using some web search service, like Google http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259,26765&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=%2Bmd5+%2Bsha1+check*+freeware+windows&cp=17&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%2Bmd5+%2Bsha1+check*+freeware+windows&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=7b989c6c17f79c85.

Additionally, one alternative to 7-zip (mentioned in several tutorials about ubcd) is PeaZip, http://www.peazip.org, which has also checksum functions.

My personal choice about checking MD5, SHA1 and other hash codes is Arpoon checksum http://www.arpoon.de/checksum.html.

Now, if the official mirrors to download ubcd503.iso are not working, (or in the future, any future stable versions) you may try waiting and trying afterwards, or some other repositories like (for ubcd503, the following links are current) :

http://majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_UBCD_d4981.html for several servers;

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ultimate-Boot-CD-Download-5992.html for USA server.

Both links include options to ubcd503.iso or for the corresponding torrent.

Those are NOT the only UNofficial repositories; there are many others. In any case, official or unofficial, you should always check both MD5 and SHA1 codes with the ones published at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html.

The Portable Freeware Collection - Files - Checksum Calculators :
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=28

The Portable Freeware Collection - Files - Integrity Checkers :
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=57


Did you try what Icecube suggested in his post?
Report back, and if the checksum values are equivalent, then we'll see how to proceed to find out what the problem is.






ok check sum and hash are the same so that not the issue, and i tried other media so thats not it, it seems that some 50% of the program in the ubcd are just misconfigerred or missing files from mostly all of your mirrors


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
puppetj wrote:
ok check sum and hash are the same so that not the issue, and i tried other media so thats not it, it seems that some 50% of the program in the ubcd are just misconfigerred or missing files from mostly all of your mirrors


I don't understand the comment about the mirrors.

If your downloaded ubcd503.iso image file has the same MD5 and SHA1 than the published ones, then your download is fine. In this case, forget the mirrors.

If they are not the same MD5 and SHA1 values, then you need to re-download, and I posted several additional repositories.

Please confirm/explain, before we continue troubleshooting.

BTW, which program have you used to burn the CD? Which speed you used for burning it?

It seems to me that you have burned more than one CD. If that's correct, have you tried with other CD's? Have you tried those CD's on other computers, just to see if they boot correctly?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 15
ady wrote:
puppetj wrote:
ok check sum and hash are the same so that not the issue, and i tried other media so thats not it, it seems that some 50% of the program in the ubcd are just misconfigerred or missing files from mostly all of your mirrors


I don't understand the comment about the mirrors.

If your downloaded ubcd503.iso image file has the same MD5 and SHA1 than the published ones, then your download is fine. In this case, forget the mirrors.

If they are not the same MD5 and SHA1 values, then you need to re-download, and I posted several additional repositories.

Please confirm/explain, before we continue troubleshooting.

BTW, which program have you used to burn the CD? Which speed you used for burning it?

It seems to me that you have burned more than one CD. If that's correct, have you tried with other CD's? Have you tried those CD's on other computers, just to see if they boot correctly?



sigh, ok its simple I've downloaded "tried" a few different mirrors, and the hash / checksums and file size are ok, so as u said lets move on to the next steps, I'm using nero to burn the iso /w verified check after burn at the lowest speed i can go 10x, the media I tried are verbatim which is HQ and also memrox, and tdk which are the next best in HQ the ubcd boot correctly, but most of the programs either run with errors of missing files then drops to dos or run the wrong programs, I've tried UBCD4win and built with mt xp disc and have no issues at all if that helps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
Quote:
burn at the lowest speed i can go 10x


That speed is a little bit strange for me. Not "every" speed can be successfully used, even when the specific media states that it starts at, say, 8x, and ends at, say, 48x.

I don't know why that is your "lowest" speed. I have used Verbatim with 4x and 8x (the 2 "safest", in that order, IMHO), with a modern burner.

I apologize in advance for the next question :roll: . The specific media is a CD, not a DVD, right?

In general, try using CD+-RW, so it is easier to re-burn in case something is wrong (or to update/customize ubcd).

In Nero, try the "verify" media again. You DON'T need to re-burn to verify. Just search for the "verify media" (or similar name) function, to compare the actual CD against your ubcd503.iso file.

Warning: checking the MD5 checksum of the burned CD against the published one won't work (because of the "blank space" in the CD).

In addition, there are specialized freeware tools that can check the optical media against your ubcd503.iso image file.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 15
ady wrote:
Quote:
burn at the lowest speed i can go 10x


That speed is a little bit strange for me. Not "every" speed can be successfully used, even when the specific media states that it starts at, say, 8x, and ends at, say, 48x.

I don't know why that is your "lowest" speed. I have used Verbatim with 4x and 8x (the 2 "safest", in that order, IMHO), with a modern burner.

I apologize in advance for the next question :roll: . The specific media is a CD, not a DVD, right?

In general, try using CD+-RW, so it is easier to re-burn in case something is wrong (or to update/customize ubcd).

In Nero, try the "verify" media again. You DON'T need to re-burn to verify. Just search for the "verify media" (or similar name) function, to compare the actual CD against your ubcd503.iso file.

Warning: checking the MD5 checksum of the burned CD against the published one won't work (because of the "blank space" in the CD).

In addition, there are specialized freeware tools that can check the optical media against your ubcd503.iso image file.




the lowest my cdrw go are 16x, but anyway after trying again i got a few things working but I still get parted magic running when i run photorec, and when i run antivir rescue system on on pc i get in german something asbout alt-f7 to return to gui, which doesnt work, and on another pc it load into antivir program but the gui is black and cyan, pink and hard to read


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
puppetj wrote:
the lowest my cdrw go are 16x, but anyway after trying again i got a few things working but I still get parted magic running when i run photorec, and when i run antivir rescue system on on pc i get in german something asbout alt-f7 to return to gui, which doesnt work, and on another pc it load into antivir program but the gui is black and cyan, pink and hard to read


Although that min 16x speed sounds strange to me (and you also previously stated that you burned at 10x), let's continue anyway.

About photorec: it is included in PartedMagic (PM in this context), so PM it is expected to start when you select photorec.

About "Antivir Rescue System": The original program comes in English and German, and the latter by default. Once you open Antivir Rescue System, you will see 2 flags (German and English) at the bottom-left corner. Clicking on the English flag should change the user interface to that language. Warning: the antivirus database update won't work from the CD if you don't have any connection configured (which I personally don't know if it is even possible). You can update the antivirus databases as part of customization, before burning it, using the available script.

Have you tried the "Verify" function (NOT the one you mentioned, which is right after burning) as suggested before?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:52 pm
Posts: 1278
If you need Parted Magic, it might be a good idea to just download the last version.
You can install it to an UFD with unetbootin too, if you don't want to burn a CD.

_________________
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
Icecube wrote:
If you need Parted Magic, it might be a good idea to just download the last version.
You can install it to an UFD with unetbootin too, if you don't want to burn a CD.


@Icecube, that doesn't explain why he can't (at least apparently) use photorec from PM.

Quote:
same thing happens if I also try to run parted

That's also part of PartedMagic. Just select PartedMagic from the boot menu, and run those tools from the GUI.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 15
Ok, well Im saying that it makes it confusing for you to launch photorec then it doesnt even run that app it goes into a operating environment, that after then if you realize what the hell is happening then you got to go look for the program, that you thought you just launched, with a bunch of other programs that have nothing to do with photorec....see I what Im saying. Are you even reading any of my posts??? I said I can even boot into the gui on 1 system using antivirail rescue system and the other system loads the gui in a unreadble color, that keeps changing when i try to click on what ever is on the screen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
@puppetj,

We *are* reading your posts. Like the one you posted in a separate topic (which is ok) :

Quote:
Trying to use ransh part edit or cute part edit, and when loading i run into UNPACK: Cannot find file "a\level1 o2 o 3 FILENAME.cab, then it drops to cmd line root drive


I may have made a mistake. Since both topics appear at the same time, I thought that it could be a problem with the CD media, the CD drive, or the ubcd503.iso you downloaded.

Antivir problem: SOLVED.
Downloaded ubcd503.iso: checked OK.
optical media tested: PARTIALLY.

The rest of the problems could be divided in categories:

1_ Ease of UBCD use: you select some program from the UBCD menu and:
1.A_ it fails to do anything, like Gparted (Victor, UBCD dev, needs to correct this).
1.B_ it doesn't react the way the user expected and there is no indication about how to proceed.

2_ DOS-based programs are failing (RPM and CPM, according to your other topic which I quoted here).

3_ When PartedMagic starts, the display is, at least, not adequate.

About the problems in category 3, whichever version you use, I would try different options from the boot menu, instead of selecting the default. There is the (good) chance/possibility that simply changing to some other boot option from PartedMagic could solve the display problem (less RAM used and/or VGA display mode, just to mention examples).

If changing the boot options of PartedMagic doesn't work for you, then I would suggest Icecube's previous suggestion:
Quote:
it might be a good idea to just download the last version.
You can install it to an UFD with unetbootin too, if you don't want to burn a CD.


The current PartedMagic version at http://partedmagic.com could have solved the problems, but I would try changing the PartedMagic boot options first (since you already have PartedMagic in UBCD).

In the meantime, I'll try to reproduce the problems of category 2. Can you describe your system (RAM, HDD exact model, and processor)?

Have you tried those 2 programs in a different computer? If you do, you don't need to actually do any partition action with Ranish nor Cute Partition Managers. It would be just to test them in a different computer to see if they at least start correctly, so we can isolate the problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 15
Antivir problem NOT SOLVED IF YOU READ MY POSTS!@!!!!!


I not gonna repeat my self please read my post then reply correctly this is ridiculous


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
You wrote:
Quote:
when i run antivir rescue system on on pc i get in german something asbout alt-f7 to return to gui


I answered:
Quote:
About "Antivir Rescue System": The original program comes in English and German, and the latter by default. Once you open Antivir Rescue System, you will see 2 flags (German and English) at the bottom-left corner. Clicking on the English flag should change the user interface to that language.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 15
ady wrote:
You wrote:
Quote:
when i run antivir rescue system on on pc i get in german something asbout alt-f7 to return to gui


I answered:
Quote:
About "Antivir Rescue System": The original program comes in English and German, and the latter by default. Once you open Antivir Rescue System, you will see 2 flags (German and English) at the bottom-left corner. Clicking on the English flag should change the user interface to that language.



Sorry I meant on one pc I get that error, but still cant load any gui to change the lang. and also for trying it one the other pc read what I said please!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ubcd issue v 503
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
@puppetj,

I re-read your posts. First, I would like to request from you to use paragraphs and punctuation. English is not the native language for everyone in the world.

Now, about Antivir. It is not UBCD that sets it in German by default. That is how they publish their software.

Antivir Rescue System is a Linux-based tool. If you search this UBCD forum, you will see that other people already ask for that type of problem. The <alt>+<F7> is just 1 of several "desktops".

Besides this forum, you can search Antivir's forum and help, so to read about each of those possibilities. Try <alt>+F7> or <alt>+<Fn> with "Fn" being F1 to F9 keys. Somehow, one of those will show the GUI and you will be able to change the language from there.

What it keeps coming again is some resources-related problem, besides (maybe) some hardware-compatibility one. If, by default, you can't get to see Antivir's GUI, and something similar happens in other tools of the ones included in UBCD, then maybe it is not the specific hardware or UBCD, but resources.

RAM? Video memory? Video mode? Processor? Changing UBCD boot options? Changing PartedMagic boot options?

Try re-reading the posts again with not so much frustration, and maybe we can get on track again.

We are only trying to help you, and maybe we get to also improve UBCD.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group