CD or DVD ?

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

papyrazzi

CD or DVD ?

#1 Post by papyrazzi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Hello,
In all the explanations overall found and forum topics, there is constantly referred to record a CD iso image.

Does that mean we can not use a DVD? :?

Can we use the program "BurnAware free" to create a CD/DVD boot-disk?

Thanks for prompt answer... my disk is awaiting to crash! :evil:

br10149bl

Re: CD or DVD ?

#2 Post by br10149bl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Yes you could burn a DVD, however, since the largest version of UBCD is less than a CD worth of data, you would be wasting most of a disc to burn it as a dvd. Now if you have a DVD burner, you can still burn UBCD to a CD and boot it from that DVD burner.

ady

#3 Post by ady » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:54 pm

papyrazzi wrote:Hello,
In all the explanations overall found and forum topics, there is constantly referred to record a CD iso image.

You CAN use a DVD. The reasons to refer to a CD ISO image is because:

A_ That's how usually any ISO image is referred to, as a general term; and

B_ In the case of the original UBCD, with no customization, the whole ISO image is about 300MiB (for 5.0.x version), which means that a CD is enough to contain the whole UBCD ISO image.

Although there are certain specific situations where a DVD could be more problematic than a CD, generally speaking you CAN indeed use a DVD instead of a CD to burn UBCD.

In any case, a re-writable media is recommended.
You should follow the instructions to burn an ISO image, preferably using a standard compatible speed (4x or 8x). Any burning software that can burn ISO images is able to burn the UBCD ISO image to optical media.

In any case, BEFORE burning please test your download with the official MD5/SHA1 checksums.
Then, if you can, try not using it until you are completely ready to use the specific tools you need. Good luck.

papyrazzi

#4 Post by papyrazzi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks br10149bl and ady for your answers. I'll then use a DVD, but only because I dont have any CD.
My DVDs are are rewritable.

ady wrote: You should follow the instructions to burn an ISO image, preferably using a standard compatible speed (4x or 8x). Any burning software that can burn ISO images is able to burn the UBCD ISO image to optical media.
OK. :? Well, I need then to do some research to find out "how to record at low speed" (sorry, I don't know much about computers;... in fact, almost nothing!)

ady wrote: In any case, BEFORE burning please test your download with the official MD5/SHA1 checksums.
:mrgreen: What does that mean? How do I do that? I suddenly feel so ridiculous :oops:

ady wrote: Good luck.
:? That will be necessary !

:?: Is it possible that I loose my disk using UBCD?

ady

#5 Post by ady » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:15 pm

papyrazzi wrote:OK. :? Well, I need then to do some research to find out "how to record at low speed" (sorry, I don't know much about computers;... in fact, almost nothing!)
In general, software for burning optical media usually has the option to set the burning speed (4x, 8x and so on). You just need to look carefully while using the software's screen before burning.

If you look carefully at your DVD's media, usually they also have the acceptable range of speeds for that particular media (like for example 8x - 48x or similar). My point is that, even if you could burn using a higher speed, try using a standard speed like 4x or 8x (instead of 48x or 52x). Using a standard speed lowers the probability of burning problems. I would NOT recommend though to use a lower speed than 4x for a data burning job like burning UBCD.
ady wrote: In any case, BEFORE burning please test your download with the official MD5/SHA1 checksums.
:mrgreen: What does that mean? How do I do that? I suddenly feel so ridiculous :oops:
We all learn with time and practice. The MD5 or SHA1 checksums are methods to confirm that your download (the UBCD ISO image) is valid. This ensures that you have a "perfect" copy of the original ISO image file.

There is a new tutorial (maybe still being developed) at the UBCD Wiki with instructions. Right after you finished downloading, and before doing anything else (including before burning it to a real DVD) check the MD5 /SHA1 checksums codes of your downloaded file against the ones officially published at the UBCD download page http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html. Those codes should match. Do NOT proceed with the burning task if those codes are NOT a match.

BTW, the specific tutorial in the UBCD Wiki is at:
http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com/index.ph ... g_Hash_Sum
:?: Is it possible that I loose my disk using UBCD?
Well, it depends on what program you run, but as a general rule, yes you can. My recommendation: do NOT run anything that you don't understand or that you don't know exactly what should happen. While using UBCD, better to ask before, than to be sorry later.

Independently, it is always a good advice to have a current backup and to know how to use it in case something goes wrong.

papyrazzi

#6 Post by papyrazzi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Yessssssss !
I've downloaded RAR-file ubcd503.iso from this site, and after download, have checked it with Md5Checker.
The number of downloaded RAR-file ubcd503.iso match with this one : [MD5 ] 6cf0f4ff7f11ad2d78058541831c4bcc found here.

Many thanks for your very clear "step by step" explanations ady.
I now study the tutorial to understand what I must do to create my DVD iso. I feel that I'll spend my whole night (it is already 00.48 AM)!
But it's worth it and I feel supported and more confident.

My computer salesman told me Thursday that I had to load UBDC and run this: Diagnosis> HDD> Vivard> Test & remap. Is this can be dangerous?
Win7-64 tells me every 5 minutes he has encountered a drive-problem and that I've to do a backup system, what I did (but I'll do another before starting UBDC work)!

ady

#7 Post by ady » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:24 am

papyrazzi wrote:I've downloaded RAR-file ubcd503.iso from this site, and after download, have checked it with Md5Checker.
The number of downloaded RAR-file ubcd503.iso match with this one : [MD5 ] 6cf0f4ff7f11ad2d78058541831c4bcc found here.
JFYI, the file ubcd503.iso is a so called ISO image file. The reason for you to see it as a "rar" file is, probably, that you are using a particular program, Winrar, to open ISO files.
I now study the tutorial to understand what I must do to create my DVD iso.
You mentioned before a specific burning program, BurnAware Free. Probably you should look for ISO image burning in it. Burning an ISO image is not the same as burning DATA. If you select to burn simple DATA, your DVD will have (after burning it) 1 file only (ubcd503.iso). Selecting to burn ISO images, you will see the CONTENT of the ISO image, which is much more than 1 file.
My computer salesman told me Thursday that I had to load UBDC and run this: Diagnosis> HDD> Vivard> Test & remap. Is this can be dangerous?
Win7-64 tells me every 5 minutes he has encountered a drive-problem and that I've to do a backup system, what I did (but I'll do another before starting UBDC work)!
Having a backup is essential in this type of cases. Your HDD could have any type of problems, from a simple software one that should be taken care from Windows, or you could need a reinstallation + "scandisk", or indeed it can be a hardware problem.

Almost any tool included in UBCD for HDD is "dangerous" (depending on how you define "dangerous"). Meaning:

_ If the hardware is actually fine, then you could still loose data by applying some HDD function;

_ If the hardware actually has a problem, then there is a fine line where you could actually repair something hardware-related with UBCD;

_ If the hardware actually has a more serious problem, then buy a new HDD and move your OS and data ASAP (FIRST, have a backup of your data; only then try moving/cloning).

Still, there are tools included in UBCD that are "read-only-first", so no function would be applied to your data unless you accept to do it. This is only useful when the hardware is actually working fine, and when you know what you are doing.

I can't tell you what exactly you could do (with Vivard or with any other tool included in UBCD). Sorry if I am too dense here, but HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, and you should know what to do and how to do it with the backup in case something goes wrong.

papyrazzi

#8 Post by papyrazzi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:03 am

I am not lucky! > nothing works! :evil: Is it always so difficult? :roll:

When I create a "repair disk" via the "Control Panel", the computer boots up well on the DVD (so, BIOS is configured correctly).
However, after boosting on the DVD, the computer asks what OS it has to start. But, no choice : I only have WIN7-64! After clicking
this "choice, the computer start/opens "normally".

I have then formated the DVD and burned UBCD.iso image on it. Well... it does not boot the system and is totally ignored!

In the tutorial, it looks me clear that I have to "customize" UBCD, but I can't do it because the explanations are too vague.
Indeed, I must "add my own floppy disks or ISO images, copying them to "UBCD-extracted\UBCD\custom.cfg". O.K., but... I have no floppy and/or
any ISO images! I just have my "original DVD Win7-64", and I don't see in it where are the settings/ISO images I have to copy in the file custom.cfg?

Hereunder the copy of the root of my 2,95 Gb "original DVD Win7-64"

Many thanks for your help.

ady

#9 Post by ady » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 am

@papirazzi,

I don't get it. Repair disk? Control panel? UBCD ISO? Customize UBCD? Windows Seven DVD?

What exactly is that you want to achieve? What exactly is the problem that you want to solve?

papyrazzi

#10 Post by papyrazzi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Well... all of that is not so easy to explain, but sure I'll try to do that.

I bought a new computer 1 year ago, with quadcore, 8Mb memory, 1Tb HD, big screen card,... and so on. It's a nice machine.
My OS is Win7-64.
Never a problem till this week.

The problem I have to fix:
On wednesday, my computer announced me suddenly that it had encountered a disk problem, with recommandation to do a back-up of all my files and the system (done). I first tought it was a virus attack coming from the Internet.

What I've done till now:
1° Tried to do a scanning of my data's, but it couldn't do it. Tried this 4 times with same result: impossibility to end it and allways same announcement of the computer: disk problem and backups to do.
2° I have then tried to do a check disk, but again the same problem: blocking of ongoing work and the computer warning regarding a problem disc.
3° I phoned to my computer reseller whos invited me to go and search on the Internet for UBCD; to download it and to copy the downloaded file on a CD. Then I'll have to restart the machine with the CD in the drive and a menu will appears. In this menu, I had to scroll down to "Diagnoses", to select HDD, to click on "VIVARD" and then on "test & remap".
Following his explanations, that would do a special check ok my disk and try to repare it or to find what's really happen.
4° I did what he said me, but could not start "on" the DVD I had prepared.

5° Due to this problem, I took then contact here thinking it was because I was using a DVD rather than CD, quod non.
And now, I try to follow your advice and guidance.

5°-sub1. First of all, I've controlled if my bios was correctly configurated (in other words: could my computer boot first on the CD/DVD?). To verify this, I opened the Main control panel and choosed the subfunction "Save & Restore", and then "Create a repair disk" (when trying, the computer could well boot on this DVD > 1st control O.K.).
Image     what gave this  Image

5°-sub2. I went and read and followed the tutorial you advised me: this one. And now, there I am: this tutorial explains the need to customize UBCD disk at my own situation in order to make it bootable see here. And at this step, I completely lose due to ununderstanding the indications > how to do it? 

ady

#11 Post by ady » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 pm

@papirazzi,

Stop there at:
4° I did what he said me, but could not start "on" the DVD I had prepared.
Let's assume that the instruction about running Vivard is what you need (I don't have any means/way to say otherwise, so I will assume that your reseller is correct and Vivard is the tool you need).

All that you explained after your step number 4 is not needed (for Vivard). I did not recommend that particular tutorial of remastering nor customizing. I recommended, for a specific purpose, that you follow the checksum / hashcheck tutorial, because you said you don't know how to do that. Now let's move on.

Do you still have the DVD with UBCD 5.0.3 burned? If not, then re-burn it.

Put the burned DVD in your DVD drive, disconnect any non-essential devices (printers, webcams, external HDD, UFD...) and reboot the system.

If after booting, instead of seeing Windows you see the screen with a similar menu as the one displayed at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/graphics/screenshot.gif), then you can follow the original instructions to get to Vivard.

If once booted, instead of getting to the boot menu of UBCD, you get to Windows again, then stop and report back here so I can give you instructions on how to proceed to get to UBCD.

papyrazzi

#12 Post by papyrazzi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:57 am

ady wrote: If after booting, instead of seeing Windows you see the screen with a similar menu as the one displayed at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/graphics/screenshot.gif), then you can follow the original instructions to get to Vivard.
No, I don't see this menu after booting the system.
ady wrote:If once booted, instead of getting to the boot menu of UBCD, you get to Windows again...
Th'at's what hapened.

ady

#13 Post by ady » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:31 am

Put your DVD with UBCD 5.0.3 (no need to customize it if you want to run Vivard), and reboot. The first screen you'll see, even before Windows boots up, shows info about your BIOS (upper part of the screen) and several available function keys (usually at the bottom part of the screen, but it depends on the specific BIOS).

The first screen disappears very fast. Before it does, you need to press the relevant/adequate key to get to a menu where you can choose to boot from your CD/DVD instead of booting from your regular media (HDD).

Choose your DVD and UBCD should boot.

There are many links / pages with general info about booting from CD/DVD, but I don't want to add "too much" info that could only confuse you.

If you can't see the screen I am talking about, then I'll need the specific motherboard model (or alternatively, the specific BIOS brand and version), so I can point you to the specific method to boot from optical media for your specific case.

papyrazzi

#14 Post by papyrazzi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 am

Hi ady,

I understand very well what you ask me. But I've to wait for the moment because the computer is working on a job I absolute need.

Meanwhile...

2 posts before, I posted you all the history and all I allready did.
Under point 5°-sub1, I related I made a repair DVD. The reason was only to control if my bios was or not configurated to boot on the DVD first. And trying this, the compouter did it. That will say that the computer boots on the DVD first. Is n't it?

Following this idea that the BIOS was well configurated to boot first on the DVD, I've open the "autorun.inf" file (who appears in the DVD with UBCD 5.0.3 - see 2 posts before) to try and understand why the computer didn't boot on the DVD.
Here the image of the contents of this file. Is this OK and sufficient for booting the computer on the DVD?

Oh, I see the computer has finished. I quick make backups.

The Piney

#15 Post by The Piney » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 am

The autorun.inf has nothing to do with booting the CD/DVD. It is used by Windows to start/open a specific file when the CD/DVD is inserted while Windows is running.

ady

#16 Post by ady » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 am

@papyrazzi,

I have to insist. With the info you provided, I can't know why one DVD booted and the other not.

Instead, I need you to check what I requested. If you SEE that you select the CORRECT bootable device, and then you don't see the correct DVD booting, only then I can tell you what to do.

For example, I mentioned before that there are specific cases where a CD will boot your system, but a DVD will fail. Well, a DVD burner connected by a SATA connection, COULD be one possibility (depending on several factors). The situation has workarounds, but let's try first more simple checks/tests.

Another possibility is that the specific DVD burner is reading several optical media, but not all.

Or the specific DVD could be not being correctly read because a problem on the specific DVD media. A way to test this possibility is to boot ANOTHER system with the same DVD.

So please try what was already suggested, and provide the requested info (in case is needed for continuing with the troubleshooting).

Besides the requested info and the already suggested checks, please do not use another DVD that has nothing to do with the method that UBCD uses to boot (like the Windows Seven Recovery/Backup) so to prove if UBCD will boot or not.

Instead, actively select the correct device to boot and test if UBCD does boot. If not, test the same DVD media in another system as suggested. BTW, do you have another optical device connected to the same system? This could also be a valid reason (depending on several conditions).

papyrazzi

#17 Post by papyrazzi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 pm

@ady.

Sorry for the (wasted?) time you spentfor me.
I have no CD but will go and buy some pieces tomorrow.

I've copied Bios screens for you. Hope it'll allready help a little.

Good evening.

Image     Image    Image

ady

#18 Post by ady » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 pm

You may not need any CD (but, if you buy it, then try to use rewritable ones).

Have you tested the DVD in other system as suggested?

The problem may be in the other sata, the one with the HDD.

Not all sata connectors are "the same".

First, try the DVD media in other system!!!, Only if it doesn't DOES work, then continue with the following procedure.

Change both connections to other sata. I recommend using a stepped method:

1_ Unplug both sata connectors
2_ Plug the CD/DVD into sata1, and leave the hdd disconnected (also disconnected from power).
3_ Try booting with the DVD of UBCD 5.0.3. by selecting the correct boot sort option in the bios.
4_ If it doesn't, then power off and change the CD/DVD to sata3 and repeat the previous step number 3.
5_ When you can boot with the DVD of UBCD 5.0.3., power off and plug in the HDD in the sata which "pairs" with the sata connected to the CD/DVD drive.
6_ Now test again if you can boot.

You keep not providing the most relevant info: exact motherboard brand and model. Is there any reason? :roll:
Last edited by ady on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ady

#19 Post by ady » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:10 am

First, try the DVD media in other system!!!, Only if it doesn't work, then continue with the following procedure.
I apologize :oops: , but I made a mistake while writing. It should had been, "only if it DOES work, then continue..."

The principle is, if the DVD media works in another system, then the problem could be found in the specific connection (among many other possibilities).

BTW, Are you using the latest version of your burning software?

Kwerki

#20 Post by Kwerki » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi there, I just downloaded it and have joined the forum. My copy is on a DVD since for some reason my writer can't seem to work with CDs. There - yes, it works on DVDs.
--------------
papyrazzi wrote:Hello,