Adding Macrium Reflect Rescue Free to UBCD 5

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Altin

Adding Macrium Reflect Rescue Free to UBCD 5

#1 Post by Altin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:14 am

Hi

Could someone help me in adding the drive imaging utility Macrium Reflect Free to UBCD 5. You can make a linux bootable CD to restore your drive from an image, but I cant seem to get it to work with UBCD. I converted the .iso to an .img using UltraISO (Trial Version) and placed it in the custom folder.

I have managed to get Spinrite working successfully by putting the following in the custom.cfg file:

LABEL spinrite
MENU LABEL Spinrite
TEXT HELP
Hard disk maintenance & data recovery utility.
ENDTEXT
LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
INITRD /ubcd/custom/spinrite.img
APPEND raw

I used much the same text when trying to add in Macrium Reflect:

LABEL MacriumReflectRescue
MENU LABEL Macrium Reflect Rescue
TEXT HELP
Restore drive images created with Macrium Reflect Free
ENDTEXT
LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
INITRD /ubcd/custom/macriumreflectrescue.img
APPEND raw

but when I try to boot it, it stalls at "Loading boot sector... Booting..."

Thanks

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:41 am

First, never use a ISO editor.
Editing ISO files with a editor doesn't work very well in most cases (for bootable iso's). Always rebuild an iso from scratch using the mkisofs command (this comment isn't applicable in your case ::> just a general remark).
Converting ISO files to IMG files can't be done easily (depends on the bootloader used). The iso you want to boot uses ISOLINUX (which only can read ISO9660 filesystems (CD filesystem), so converting to an img file will never work.

Luckily, there is an easy solution in your case:

Code: Select all

LABEL MacriumReflectRescue
MENU LABEL Macrium Reflect Rescue
TEXT HELP
Restore drive images created with Macrium Reflect Free
ENDTEXT
LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk-iso
INITRD /ubcd/custom/macriumreflectrescue.iso
APPEND iso
You can boot ISO images with memdisk-iso (note in the next UBCD50 release, memdisk-iso won't be available ==> /boot/syslinux/memdisk will work to boot iso's at that point).
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

Fishak

Re: Adding Macrium Reflect Rescue Free to UBCD 5

#3 Post by Fishak » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:55 am

Hi,

I stumbled across this thread, and although my question isn't about UBCD per se, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I use Macrium Reflect to back up a couple of my computers, but have trouble with the rescue CD in some cases. Some systems can't access USB drives, or raid arrays where their images are stored, and I need to run TrueCrypt to make image files readable for a couple systems, which isn't possible from the bootable CD.

Does anyone here know if it's possible to run the MR Linux recovery program from the recovery CD, from a Linux OS? Preferably, I would like to run it from a small distro like Puppy Linux, so it can be run from a live CD or flash drive, but I am open to other options.

StopSpazzing

#4 Post by StopSpazzing » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:31 am

I have tested and confirmed that TrueCrypt that comes with Parted Magic, that is included with UBCD 5 and above, works just fine. So you may want to try that route first.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

ady

#5 Post by ady » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 am

Fishak wrote:Hi,

I stumbled across this thread, and although my question isn't about UBCD per se, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I use Macrium Reflect to back up a couple of my computers, but have trouble with the rescue CD in some cases. Some systems can't access USB drives, or raid arrays where their images are stored, and I need to run TrueCrypt to make image files readable for a couple systems, which isn't possible from the bootable CD.

Does anyone here know if it's possible to run the MR Linux recovery program from the recovery CD, from a Linux OS? Preferably, I would like to run it from a small distro like Puppy Linux, so it can be run from a live CD or flash drive, but I am open to other options.
I don't know if it is possible to run the Macrium Reflect program from other Linux distro.

TrueCrypt and USB connections shouldn't be a problem if you use the latest Macrium Reflect version (older version might have problems with USB). In this case, you should backup again, since there might be problems when trying to restore using a newer version with a backup originally made with older versions.

About RAID support, AFAIK the RAID support is only included in the WinPE PAID version, not in the free one. It may be possible to overcome this with another Linux distro, but as I mentioned, I wouldn't know if that is possible.

Fishak

#6 Post by Fishak » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:16 am

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking for a couple days, and haven't found how to make this work yet.

ady, I'm using the latest version of the MR recovery CD, but I can't find any way to use TrueCrypt while running off the liveCD. The only option available is Locate Image. When the needed image resides inside a TC Volume, MR has no way to recognize it.

One method that works is to save the image to another location that is outside of an encrypted container, but I have found image files to be unstable if they are not original. This method does work, but it's hit and miss as to whether I can get a valid copy, and sometimes I must start over.