PC hangs at Win splash screen

Note: If you are looking for information on UBCD4Win (UBCD for Windows), YOU HAVE COME TO THE WRONG PLACE!

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

kenw

PC hangs at Win splash screen

#1 Post by kenw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:38 am

Hi - I've been having a problem getting a Win XP PC to boot - it hangs at the Win splash screen and I've seen various comments about similar situations but mine goes further. Not only does it hang at this splash screen during regular boot up, it hangs at it even if I'm in safe boot and it hangs at the same point if I try to boot using UBCD v. 3.6. Of course, in the case of UBCD, it occurred after I had chosen the option to launch the default UBCD software. Anybody got an idea on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Ken

StopSpazzing

Re: PC hangs at Win splash screen

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:10 am

You are looking for UBCD4WIN not UBCD4DOS.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

sofiabrown

Re: PC hangs at Win splash screen

#3 Post by sofiabrown » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Open the windows Explorer
Right click on your "C:\" drive and select properties. click on tools. click on "check now" under "Error Checking." It will probably reboot and check the disk.
If you can't get into it, use the XP CD to boot into the recovery console (this process is described... everywhere) and run chkdsk -f.
If you don't have the CD, use someone elses machine to check your disk. If the other machine has problems recognizing the drive in the Windows Explorer, or if it hangs on the other machine, or if it says "this drive needs to be formatted" in the storage management properties (right click My Computer, go to manage, go to storage...), the drive may have serious errors.
Immediately back up the data