UBCD just boots into "DR-DOS"? (no menu)

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

dg

UBCD just boots into "DR-DOS"? (no menu)

#1 Post by dg » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:33 pm

I got ubcd33-basic.exe, extracted and burned the ISO to a DVD and then booted off it. All seems fine except that it just stops at a DOS-like prompt. The text menu as shown on the screenshot on the webpage is not shown. I tried running an .exe on the A "floppy" (virtual?), but it's in german and appeared to be wanting to partition my hdd (I guess) so i exited out of that sharpish.

All i have on the root of the DVD is 9 folders (from 'boot' to 'ubcd', each containing lots of other files/folders) and the 3 files autorun.inf, boot.catalog & ubcd.ico.

All im actually looking for ATM is running memtest, but I couldnt seem to find an .exe to run it when browsing either A: or the DVD disk (thanks to DOOM etc I know the very basic DOS type commands).

dg

#2 Post by dg » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:23 am

OK i figure i somehow copied the contents of the ISO onto the DVD and then made that a bootable DVD via nero, which clearly doesnt work, unless there's something on there I can run from Caldera DR-DOS to load the program.

I re-tried burning the ISO, this time to a multisession CD containing files no longer required, but although nero info shows the two tracks (track 1 being joliet and track 2 [ubcd] being bootable), the PC doesnt seem to recognise it as bootable and more or less ignores it and carries on into windows.

I have a 256mb USB MP3 player/stick so i'll have a look around for the UBUSB thing mentioned in a few posts around where (im not into paying £20 to get some cd's and the shipping when i dont even know if my ram has any problem).

Victor Chew

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:02 pm

You should see the text menu, otherwise something is not working. Were you thrown to the CDShell console for some reason? Try typing "help" and see if there is any output.

You are doing the right thing by burning the ISO file. Don't burn a bootable CDROM by copying the files and folders. It definitely won't work that way.

SteelTrepid

#4 Post by SteelTrepid » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:59 am

You need to "close" or "finalize" the CD or DVD when burning it. You cannot make any of these bootable CD's as "multisession."

After your initial post I was going to ask you if you were sure that you didn't try to make the disc bootable with Nero, as the DRDOS problem is usually caused by that. But you made it sound like you didn't do it, then came to find out you may have accidentally done this.

Don't make it a multisession DVD and I think you'll be alright.

dg

#5 Post by dg » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:33 am

Nero express refuses to burn the CD ISO to DVD -

"sorry, your compilation cannot be written to this kind of disc. Please insert a disc of the correct type or modify the settings of your compilation to make it compatible with the current disc."

I dont have any blank CDs atm either, I guess I'm stuck until I get some new blank CDs.