WIN XP Home Need help on what to do with nuking PC memory

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

GwuoooT24783

WIN XP Home Need help on what to do with nuking PC memory

#1 Post by GwuoooT24783 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Hello to all! I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask what to do after using DBAN on my WIN XP Home Edition. I used DBAN and did the dod command which took 5 and 1/2 hours to complete. I have researched how to use this and such. But I don't know what to do after as even if I have the recovery disk it doesn't work.

(Sony Vaio Recovery and Documentation Disc for the RS Series.)

I restarted my PC with the disk on, loads as a black screen and it says "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE. OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY"
Sorry for the caps.

I'm using a desktop computer.
It's a Sony Vaio
Version / Model : PCV-RS402
------------------PCV-2246

CPU: 2.80c GHZ Intel Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading
HDD: 120 GB (7200 rpm)

I want to reinstall Win XP Home like when it was brand new and have a clean memory slate.

does anyone have any solutions or advice? please help if you can and thank you in advance.

=)

ady

Re: WIN XP Home Need help on what to do with nuking PC memor

#2 Post by ady » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 am

DBAN wipes (erases, deletes) almost all the info in your HDD.

When you say you have a recovery disc, if you mean that you have a Sony CD for factory reset / recovery, then that is what you are supposed to use. Boot with it inserted and select the CD drive to use as boot drive.

If your system needs a recovery "partition" (which is part of the HDD), I can only *guess* that you have also wiped that "recovery" partition too. This guess might be wrong though.

Probably consulting the Sony Vaio website, you'll find a knowledgebase, FAQs, and so on.