Hard Drive inaccessible when booting into FreeDos

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

bigben

Hard Drive inaccessible when booting into FreeDos

#1 Post by bigben » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:01 am

Hi,

Sorry if this has come up before, I've searched a bit on here but come up with nothing.

Basically, my girlfriend's laptop hard drive got corrupted and wouldn't boot into Windows XP normally - something about some missing dll files, although I don't know which they were. A repair guy has since taken out the hard drive and rescued some important work for her using his PC, but there's still a lot of stuff on there that I want to retrieve before I wipe it and reinstall Windows. I bought a 2.5"/3.5" convertor, but the PC I attempted to use it with didn't like it and my own PC is itself out of action at the moment. Another solution to the problem I was attempting was to boot into DOS from a boot CD and then use DUSE or some other USB DOS driver to copy important folders from the internal HDD to the external USB HDD using DOS commands.

I then found Ultimate Boot CD, downloaded it and used it successfully on my own laptop - I could boot into FreeDos from the CD and navigate round A: C: Q: and T:. However, on my girlfriend's laptop - a Toshiba Equium A60 - booting into FreeDos the same way doesn't recognise the C: drive. I can navigate round all the others, but even though the system seems to recognise there's a hard drive there (when going through all the boot options manually one by one, it recognises it because it displays the make and model number on one of the lines) it won't allocated it a drive letter, which means I can't access it through DOS and copy files from it.

Is there something known that I'm doing particularly wrong and I've just missed it? Or is it something to do with the laptop itself? When booting, another of the lines says "Chipset Not Recognised" - would this have anything to do with it?

Thanks very much for any help with this.

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:33 am

Is it an NTFS partition you are trying to access?

If so, did you enable NTFS support during FreeDOS bootup?

If not, type "ntfsdos" at the FreeDOS prompt and see what it says.