sysinfo

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

HM2K

sysinfo

#1 Post by HM2K » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:55 pm

I'd like a method so I can boot up and view all the system's information...

Ideally...

CPU type
CPU speed
Amount of RAM
Hard drives and Space
Which network card exists (maybe?)
Operating System Installed (maybe?)

Any idea if such information can be displayed on boot, also does anything already exist that could provide such informatin, or perhaps someone knows how to make something that would do this.

Thanks.

sadyc

Re: sysinfo

#2 Post by sadyc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:33 am

HM2K wrote:I'd like a method so I can boot up and view all the system's information...

Ideally...
First, a solution is to boot up a full Live Linux CD (not INSERT or minmal CDs), then look for some control panel app like "system info".

Second, you can view some info "manualy" from any linux.
Just boot some linux that gives you access to command prompt, then type the following commands:
HM2K wrote:CPU type
CPU speed

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
Look at model name and cpu Mhz.
HM2K wrote:Amount of RAM

dmesg |grep ^Memory
The second number is the amount of RAM expressed in kilobytes.
Note: some linuxes might be limited at boot to use only a fixed amount of RAM, but this is a rare case.
HM2K wrote:Hard drives and Space

dmesg|grep ^[hs]d |egrep -v request\|flushes
This will give you all storage devices (disks, cdroms, etc). Their model and their size.
No partition info or free space info.
HM2K wrote:Which network card exists (maybe?)

dmesg |grep ^eth
Another useful command is

lspci
Which will list all PCI/AGP devices (video card, network cards, IDE controllers, etc)

PS: There are more apropiate ways to obtain this info, but will require more elaborate scripts to extract the info and format it.
If people are interested, I migth come up with some scripts, which can be integrated in a linux boot floppy that will let you read all this info togheder after booting.

--adrian

Victor Chew

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:09 am

Wouldn't some of the existing apps on UBCD like AIDA16 or NSSI give you these information and more?

HM2K

#4 Post by HM2K » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:39 am

A simple/basic output such as the one for moo.dll for mIRC would be great...

eg:
moo: os: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600) uptime: 2days 18hrs 20mins 4secs cpu: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+ at 1800MHz (8% Load) gfx: ATI Technologies Inc. RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4150) 128MB res: 1280x1024 32bit 60Hz ram: 432/511.48MB (84.52%) [||||||||--] hdd: C:\ 29.04GB/55.89GB Free D:\ 5.97GB/111.78GB Free F:\ 2.28GB/18.64GB Free net: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - 10MB/s 571.49MB In, 50.94MB Out
Or as much of those details as possible anyway.

I'd like to see this in a pre-made program, or at least some specifics...

Which "live" linux CD do you mean?

Couldn't someone just create a program to do this to put on the UBCD, I can't imagine it would be that difficult providing you have the coding skills.

The reason I need this is to quickly check details of computer systems, having this option inside UBCD would be great to identify these important system details.

I hope someone can help me with this, as I believe it will benifit lots of people, and make it much easier for me to analyse systems.

If anyone is aware of a program that can do this that already exists, and runs from boot, that would be even better!

HM2K

#5 Post by HM2K » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:54 am

Victor Chew wrote:Wouldn't some of the existing apps on UBCD like AIDA16 or NSSI give you these information and more?
I tried those, they are too advanced, I only want the basics...

Constance

#6 Post by Constance » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:36 am

Victor Chew wrote:Wouldn't some of the existing apps on UBCD like AIDA16 or NSSI give you these information and more?
AIDA 16 is completely outdated : tells my Athlon 64 is a 486SX ... though frequency, FSB and multiplicator are correct.
Don't know for NSSI yet...
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.