CD-ROM drivers and SATA based CD-ROMs

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

torbad

CD-ROM drivers and SATA based CD-ROMs

#1 Post by torbad » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:33 pm

After upgrading to a new motherboard with only one IDE channel (and thus no convenient way of booting an IDE-based CD-ROM drive as my harddrive has to be the master of that single IDE-channel) I have opted for a SATA-based CD-ROM.

A lot of the utils on the boot cd is loading standard CD-ROM drivers, but using a SATA-based CD-ROM this no longer works.

How to address this? It is only a question of time before using SATA-based drives would be the rule rather than the exception, right!?!

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:07 am

Well I suppose there must be DOS drivers for the SATA models on the manufacturer's website ? ...

Which are the manufacturer and model of your drive ?
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

torbad

#3 Post by torbad » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:46 am

The drive is Samsung DVD SH-W163A SATA

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:24 am

Well, I doubt it will work, but still you may try the driver on this page : http://samsung-odd.com/eng/Support/Appl ... cation.asp

If it doesn't work (which is likely ;( ), then maybe contact Samsung's support to tell them they should release drivers for support of their SATA products under DOS :/
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.

StefanKittel

#5 Post by StefanKittel » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:04 am

hi...

the samsung drivers to not work at all for sata drives.
samsung tells that the support ended 1999.

Does anybody have a working dvd-rom driver for sata for DOS?

Stefan

marcella

DOS not needed to boot from SATA CD-ROM

#6 Post by marcella » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 am

I have a Samsung SATA dvd-writer. I do not need to "get to DOS" to use DOS commands. I do need to boot sometimes before the OS kicks in. I can create all kinds of bootable CD's from within WinXP. I also use TeraByte's super Image From DOS, BootiT NG, and other products. Each comes with a makedisk app. that will see my Samsung and write bootable files along with the programs so I can boot a CD and do my partition and imaging work without Windows. They also make a great Image for Windows version that will actually lock all files at the time imaging begins, allowing me to keep working without worrying about active file problems. BART has also written to CD's and made them bootable.

For me, there is no reason to go looking for a DOS driver for my SATA DVD-writer.

Constance

Re: DOS not needed to boot from SATA CD-ROM

#7 Post by Constance » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:06 am

marcella wrote:For me, there is no reason to go looking for a DOS driver for my SATA DVD-writer.
Ok, but that doesn't mean noone could have a use for it.
I don't clearly see the point of your message above...

marcella

#8 Post by marcella » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Sorry I was unclear. If you need to get to an MS-DOS prompt via access from a sata CD, then I guess you need the special sata driver. I was not arguing against that. If you want to get to some other utilities like working on partitions, as I do, I pick those that create bootable CD's for me that see all sata devices. Once booted from my sata cd-rom, for example, these utilities see all my internal sata hard drives, internal sata cd-roms, ide hard drives and esata external hard drives or cd-roms. I find such access to sata devices much more straightforward than trying to get at them via ms-dos.

Here is one example. I have many images created by v. 9 and 10 of TrueImage. Since moving from an IDE to SATA DVD/CD writer, I cannot access any of them via Acronis's boot, cd or flashcard boot disks. It tries all the usual dos-based mechanisms in its auto-exec/config.sys files and finally hangs. That forced me to find something else - I discovered TeraByte's free trials and their bootable floppies and cd's all work. I do not know how they do it, just that they can work with or bypass BIOS and OS configurations. I ended up buying BootiT NG, IFD and IFW and can incorporate other utulities and batch files using FreeDOS if I needed to.

fhlh

try this

#9 Post by fhlh » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:53 pm