Help required for testing

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Victor Chew

Help required for testing

#1 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:36 pm

Erwin has introduced a boot disk based on LZ-DOS (Russian MsDOS 7.10 compatible kernel with LFN-support), and we are wondering whether we should make it default instead of FreeDOS.

If you would like to help with the testing, you can download a minimal boot CD here that boots to a simple menu that allows you to choose either FreeDOS or LZ-DOS.

Try both of them, and test out things like which mounts your USB devices better, or which supports NTFSDOS and long filename better etc.

If you are familiar with customization, you can add a few DOS apps to the test CD and try them out as well.

Please let me know your experience by posting here.

Thanks!
Last edited by Victor Chew on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tikbalang

#2 Post by tikbalang » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:20 am

why not datalight romdos? it's free for non commercial use.

http://datalight.com/products/romdos/

it natively supports lfn and fat32.

tikbalang

#3 Post by tikbalang » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:21 am

i forgot to add that datalight also has network tools for romdos called sockets. also free.

NwDsk

#4 Post by NwDsk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:11 am

tikbalang wrote:why not datalight romdos? it's free for non commercial use. it natively supports lfn and fat32.
This would have been a fine candidate indeed, but unfortunately I ran into several incompatibilities when testing it on the set of batch-files that I use with the general FreeDOS-, OpenDOS- and MsDOS- bootdisks.
Most importantly it handled redirection/piping differently than all the other DOS's I ever tested. Capturing output from dos-commands/exes to files using redirection is the cornerstone of modular boot disk systems like Bart's (of which mine is a derative). So, unfortunately it turned useless for my boot disks.

But LZ-DOS-kernel in combination with 4DOS-command.com will also make a fine pair :-)
Victor probably will use that instead of the FreeDOS-combo on upcoming 3.5

Erwin

tikbalang

#5 Post by tikbalang » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:48 am

oh, ok. thanks for that info. great bootcd!

Scott Cooper

#6 Post by Scott Cooper » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:09 pm

I hope the UBCD stays as open as possible, so hopefully proprietary software can be avoided on the inside of the project.

What are some of the problems with FreeDOS?

MichaelP

#7 Post by MichaelP » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:01 pm

Tried both options with a SATA DVD drive - neither option booted up (both stopped after the selection screen).