UBCD V5.2.1 available for download

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Victor Chew

UBCD V5.2.1 available for download

#1 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 am

UBCD V5.2.1 is available for download:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Changelog:

- Removed unnecessary "APPEND -" from all entries. Thanks to ady for the suggestion.
- Updated CPUstress image to V2.1expl6, added help text and added a separate entry that launches it main menu. Thanks to Explorer09 for the update and suggestion.
- Removed /ubcd/boot/cpustress/bzImage, which is no longer used.
- Updated syslinux2grub4dos scripts to deal with absent "APPEND -" statements.
- Added F-Prot and ClamAV databases, which were missing from the 5.2.0 release.

Thanks to everybody who helped with this release!

ady

Re: UBCD V5.2.1 available for download

#2 Post by ady » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:27 am

In UBCD521.iso -> /pmagic/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg:

Code: Select all

APPEND /pmagic/boot/chntpw/vmlinuz rw vga=1 loglevel=0 initrd=/pmagic/boot/chntpw/initrd.cgz,/boot/chntpw/scsi.cgz
should be:

APPEND /pmagic/boot/chntpw/vmlinuz rw vga=1 loglevel=0 initrd=/pmagic/boot/chntpw/initrd.cgz,/pmagic/boot/chntpw/scsi.cgz
Although chntpw is not included in pmagic_2013_01_29 (included in UBCD v.5.2.1), it *is* included (again) in the current stable release of PMagic.

Victor Chew

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:49 pm

Noted. Thanks!

Explorer09

#4 Post by Explorer09 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Regarding the entries list in the homepage (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/)

CPU Burn-in, CPUinfo, Mersenne Prime Test, Stress, and StressCPU
-> I think Victor can add a note like this: "Included in CPUstress." Just like the programs included in Parted Magic.

HDDErase
-> The note sentence seems to be incomplete. ( "Older version included because latest version is ." )

Thanks!

Victor Chew

#5 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:25 pm

-> I think Victor can add a note like this: "Included in CPUstress." Just like the programs included in Parted Magic.
Done.
-> The note sentence seems to be incomplete. ( "Older version included because latest version is ." )
Fixed. Thanks for noticing this!

ady

#6 Post by ady » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:32 pm

For the next (testing) version, maybe a script to merge (update) pmagic would be useful.

The user would download the version / release of pmagic on his own and then expand its content in, say, "
c:\pmagic-extracted\
".

If UBCD is expanded in "
c:\ubcd-extracted\
", the script would be executed as:

pm2ubcd "c:\pmagic-extracted\" "c:\ubcd-extracted\"
indicating the origin (source) of the new pmagic version, and the destination directory (adding "/pmagic/" to the latter).

The script would first delete "
c:\ubcd-extracted\pmagic\pmodules\PMAGIC_*.SQFS
", and then copy the new files to their respective locations (overwriting the old ones).

Then a "sed" script would change "
/pmagic/boot/syslinux/*.cfg
" (according to the pm2ubcd command line argument) regarding:

_ "F1 (-F12) /pmagic/boot/syslinux/message*.txt"

_ "/pmagic/initrd.img "  ==>> "/pmagic/initrd.img iso_filename=ubcd<version_number>.iso"
Optionally, the script could update main.cfg to reflect the new pmagic version (according to the new PMAGIC_*.SQFS file). This is not essential, but convenient

Basically, the same scripting techniques are already being used in other scripts in UBCD. It is possible that Victor already uses at least part of these concepts in his own script(s).

Thoughts? Comments? Volunteers?

ps: In this post, I used a mix of "/" and "\". I think the intention is clear anyway, and there would be respective scripts for "Win32" and for "Linux", just as other scripts in UBCD.

Victor Chew

#7 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Will keep this on my todo list. More suited for V5.3 beta.

Contributions are welcome!

littleboyck

#8 Post by littleboyck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 am

With the new 5.2.1 Release DLG 5.20 was included. I just ran into a problem with this regarding Black Terabyte drives where it gives an false error. The error is "Error 0229: Missing Test Tracks". Replacing the drive gives the same error. There is a forum on WDC saying that the older versions don't have this problem. I've tried 5.19 and it passes on both drives.

I've edited my 5.2.1 to include both 5.19 and 5.20 versions, there doesn't seem to be an update at WDC's end. Perhaps including or downgrading would be a good idea?

WDC Forum:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop-Por ... 436/page/2

Victor Chew

#9 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 am

@littleboyck: Will include V5.19 in the next release. Thanks for the feedback.

ady

#10 Post by ady » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:02 am

About DLG v5.20, it should be noted that there is no official announcements or recognized known problems (yet?). Using DLG for DOS v5.19, or the Windows version, may or may not be a solution. At this time, the fact that other versions might not report errors doesn't mean the HDD is OK. I hope WDC comes up with an official answer and releases updated tool(s).

The reason I comment this here is because the issue is not related to UBCD, and questions / reports to problems with DLG v5.20 should be directed to WDC (through its forum, for example).

Some program updates (for whenever the next UBCD version gets out):

_ ASTRA 6.03

_ HDCLONE 4.2.4 fe.en (for inclusion in UBCD, beware to download the Free English version, not the German one);

__ memtest86 4.2.0 (
http://www.memtest86.com/support/ver_history.htm
)
It includes kernel versions 4.2.0, 4.1.0 and 4.0b, but the previous version 3.5b is not included (which is the one with most important differences).
I would suggest maybe replacing version 4.1.0 of the binary kernel with latest 4.2.0 (same file name, "memtest"), and leaving the older versions ("memtest.p", "memtest.pp") still included in UBCD (instead of replacing them with the new kernels).

_ datalife.img.gz -> xxx.img. Why this strange name? Is there any conflict with some other name?

_ Intel Processor Identification Utility V4.60 (P4 and above)
If this is the only change (or similar ones) in FDUBCD, please consider using version "1.48.1" or similar (or even no version change), instead of "1.49".

TIA,
Ady.

Victor Chew

#11 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm

About DLG v5.20, it should be noted that there is no official announcements or recognized known problems (yet?). Using DLG for DOS v5.19, or the Windows version, may or may not be a solution. At this time, the fact that other versions might not report errors doesn't mean the HDD is OK. I hope WDC comes up with an official answer and releases updated tool(s).
From the official reply:
We have passed this information to the development team in charge of your product. Please disregard the error message that you got since this was caused by the software and not an error from the hard drive itself.
Seems like this is a transient error that can be ignored for the time being?

Victor Chew

#12 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Some program updates (for whenever the next UBCD version gets out):
Have updated all of them.

For memtest, I have included the official distribution (without 3.5b). It is probably time to let the old version go?

For FDUBCD, I will not update the version number if only the content of DOSAPPS is changed.

Victor Chew

#13 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 pm

_ datalife.img.gz -> xxx.img. Why this strange name? Is there any conflict with some other name?
Don't quite understand this. Could you please elaborate?

ady

#14 Post by ady » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 am

Victor Chew wrote: From the official reply:
We have passed this information to the development team in charge of your product. Please disregard the error message that you got since this was caused by the software and not an error from the hard drive itself.
Seems like this is a transient error that can be ignored for the time being?
The text you quoted is from a user that posted what seems to be a generic response he received (not even a direct quote from WDC). For that specific user in particular, WDC seems to claim that the specific HDD is OK (after RMA), but there is no confirmation whether other versions of DLG would correctly and fully evaluate newish HDD models, or whether the strange result from DLG v5.20 is related to a particular HDD model or to a particular HDD controller (or whatever else).

In short, there is no official answer (except for a user quoting a generic email), which means:

_ "test with other DLG versions" may or may not be an adequate alternative - who knows!;

_ the issue is NOT related to UBCD, thus, users should (shall) report the problem to WDC, so it can be fixed. There is no workaround.

Victor Chew wrote:
Don't quite understand this. Could you please elaborate?
ubcd521.iso -> ubcd/images/datalife.img.gz -> xxx.img (instead of datalife.img, as it would be expected). I am asking about the reason to use a different file name. Is there any conflict with any other file or program?

Victor Chew

#15 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:49 pm

ubcd521.iso -> ubcd/images/datalife.img.gz -> xxx.img (instead of datalife.img, as it would be expected). I am asking about the reason to use a different file name. Is there any conflict with any other file or program?
I just checked the V5.2.1 ISO image and didn't find /ubcd/images/xxx.img.gz, only /ubcd/images/datalife.img.gz. Am I missing something here?

ady

#16 Post by ady » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Victor Chew wrote:
I just checked the V5.2.1 ISO image and didn't find /ubcd/images/xxx.img.gz, only /ubcd/images/datalife.img.gz. Am I missing something here?
And what happens when you open / expand / extract
datalife.img.gz
? Do you find
datalife.img
inside it? Or is it
xxx.img
?

Victor Chew

#17 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm

And what happens when you open / expand / extract datalife.img.gz?
Oh I see now! Not sure what happened, but I will definitely fix it in the next minor release. Just waiting for CPUStress to come out of beta...

ady

#18 Post by ady » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 am

Victor Chew wrote:Not sure what happened
The important point is if there is/was some "clashing" reason, for example with some other WD DLG tool/version.
Just waiting for CPUStress to come out of beta...
It might be worth waiting for a new stable release of PMagic too, which, among others, should have some fixes regarding USB devices.