Parted magic doesn't work!

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

MDTech.us_MAN

Parted magic doesn't work!

#1 Post by MDTech.us_MAN » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 am

Parted Magic doesn't start because it can't find pmagicxxxx.sqfs!
But, I download Parted Magic separately from the Parted Magic site and everything works fine!
Please fix this bug!

Maxwell.

AdamJayP

Re: Parted magic doesn't work!

#2 Post by AdamJayP » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm getting the same error, and am unsure how to proceed. I did not download anything separate, merely followed the instructions on the main page. When loading parted magic I tried all three options at the top of the box with the same results. I tried it on another computer and got the same result
Setting up system devices... DONE

Searching for PMAGIC_2013_08_01.SQFS...

The PMAGIC_2013_08_01.SQFS file could not be found. Report this incident to the forum and if possible attach a directory listing of the Media.

Example:

mount /def/sr0 /mnt
ls -lR /mnt

At least report the full path and name (including upper and lower case)
or the absense of any pmagic sqfs files.

You are now on the command line.
Commands like "ls", "cat", and "more" are at your disposal.
Use <Shift+PageUp/Down> to scroll up and down.
When done type "exit" to reoot the system.

bash-4.2#
I have no idea what path you want reported, but it's a stock extracted ubcd.iso right off mirror one. I'll keep poking at it. I haven't used UBCD in years, but I don't remember it being this fussy to use. Maybe it's just rose colored memories. :)

lliseil

#3 Post by lliseil » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 am

Hello,
Same issue in this location:
Searching for PMAGIC_2013_08_01.SQFS... could not be found.
UBCD 5.3.2, started from a MultiSystem USB Key.
Please let us know if this issue is UBCD or rather PMagic related?

ady

#4 Post by ady » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:56 pm

I don't understand why users assume this is a problem with UBCD, or originated in pmagic. If this were to be the case, many users would had complain already.

It is in fact related to how the USB drive is partitioned and/or formatted and/or how UBCD was transferred to the USB drive. This type of problems are typical of "multiboot" builders.

For instance, the fact that some tool claims to support UBCD and pmagic doesn't mean that it always succeeds. Perhaps it supported some version in the past, or perhaps simply the claim is inaccurate.

In other words, you might need to look for help in the respective websites of the tools you are using to build the ("multiboot") USB drive.

Hint: pmagic has some optional boot parameters regarding the location of the "pmodules" directory and/or the location of the ISO.

JDługosz

#5 Post by JDługosz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:12 am

ady wrote:I don't understand why users assume this is a problem with UBCD, or originated in pmagic. If this were to be the case, many users would had complain already.
Because there is no indication otherwise and the error implies that there are missing or mis-configured files on the media.
It is in fact related to how the USB drive is partitioned and/or formatted and/or how UBCD was transferred to the USB drive. This type of problems are typical of "multiboot" builders.
Well, I for one made the USB stick by following the directions on the page. No changes from what I downloaded from the ISO at all. That is, ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb

I'd appreciate an answer and actual fix, not a "hint". UBCD has always been a great tool for fixing/configuring computers, and it's not nice that it doesn't work now. I'd like to not become an expert on customizing UBCD first before getting back to the task at hand, especially when I have no need to customize it at all and just want to use the stock image.