It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:17 am 

The current version of IBM/Hitachi Feature Tool included with UBCD no longer contains support for acoustic management settings; I believe it was removed in version 2.13. It'd be nice to have a version with AAM support included in addition to the latest one as I'm not aware of other tools that could be used to set the AAM values for these drives so that the settings persist after power cycles/reboots.

Older versions of the tool are available at least on older UBCD's, IIRC at least 4.11 contained one with AAM support.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:23 pm 

Some old drives never supported AAM.

Some newer drives are not officially supporting AAM.

Instead of including in UBCD an older version of a tool just to support AAM (while downgrading the other options), I would suggest using an alternative tool.

Under Linux, one example is “hdparm”.

Under Windows, one example is “HDDScan”.

There are more alternatives available, just search.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:03 am 

As mentioned in my original post, the whole point is to do the AAM settings in a way that they persist across restarts, at least hdparm cannot be used for that. Not all environments have tools that can do this at runtime.

And note that as I also said in the original post I am not asking to downgrade the version on UBCD but to include the older version *in addition to* the new one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:07 am 

More than a year between posts, your statements are still vague.

I would consider this a customization, at best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:33 am 

Well, I only learned a few days ago that someone had replied a long time ago. Now I do get notifications about replies.

Anyway, I'm not sure what more you're looking for. Is this less vague: some setups such as DVRs running operating systems one cannot access have no means to use hdparm or similar at runtime, therefore AAM needs to be set for their disks in a way that persists across power cycles. IBM/Hitachi feature tool was such a tool for a variety of drives. Not only IBM/Hitachi ones, I believe I used it to set AAM for a Samsung drive or few.

If this is not something UBCD wants to support, too bad, I believe I can find that stuff somewhere else. Would be convenient to have it in UBCD though, it has pretty much everything else.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:57 pm 

Do you "believe" that the feature is available in some specific older version? Maybe it is included in some other version (instead / too)?

And how the setting is "persistent" when it is being set under certain OS but not when it is changed by using a different OS?

An older version of a tool that is supposed to act on a certain range of HDD models _might_ be helpful for a one-time task for "some other" HDD drives? Do we know which other drives? Aren't those other drives supported by their own tools?

Either a tool allows to _change_ (aka, read/write) the settings, or it allows to read-only the same settings. You seem to be saying that only one version of one tool is capable of changing this particular setting, and no other tool (under no OS) can.

One example of a type of HDD tools that UBCD doesn't include is firmware updates. They are left for customizations.

So, let's review. We are not sure which exact version of the tool is appropriate, on which HDD models / brands it is supposed to work, it is no longer supported by the original manufacturer, it performs a one-time job, and some additional assumptions might be relevant regarding other alternative tools (that might or might not be able to change the same setting under certain circumstances).

IMO, this should be left for customizations.